Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: would grayling be able to survive in SA streams?

Default would grayling be able to survive in SA streams?

I was just thinking if trout can live in our water surely grayling could too?

I really don't know if I am right but I think Grayling need colder average temperatures than trout? Also they inhabit Europe and the water bodies there are usually far more alkaline than our Western Cape rivers. I rate Lesotho would be perfect though.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

What would the point be?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

the same point as trout , to fish for. just had thought that if trout could live here so could grayling . i wonder how they would adapt

There trying to eradicate trout. they are not going to introduce another alien .

Grayling are actually scheduled in the Nemba legislation as an alien species. There is no chance of this happening in reality.

As to the hypothetical point, I guess it could be possible, but only in pristine, cold water. Grayling are known only to inhabit the cleanest of water - they have a lower tolerance to pollution than other salmonid species and are considered a good indicator species in the UK. If grayling are present, you know you have a healthy stream.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

JustinM, Just noticed your signature. Love It !!!

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    the same point as trout , to fish for. just had thought that if trout could live here so could grayling . i wonder how they would adapt
    They would take some time to adapt, but they will. They'll never be introduced though, which was the point I was making. Unless of course they are introduced by someone who later on wants to ensure that he/she has a job when they want to eradicate/rotenone them out again.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Unless of course they are introduced by someone who later on wants to ensure that he/she has a job when they want to eradicate/rotenone them out again.
    Where is that bloody "like" Button
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

They thrive in the Welsh freestone rivers, which are much like our Cape streams. I think they would survive and thrive, maybe even evolve into a more beautiful fish. But hey, pipe dreams!
    If you work with monkeys you'll definitely slip on a banana peel!
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is AlWAYS through his fly!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast