Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Single foot guides or Snake guides ?

Default Single foot guides or Snake guides ?

Hi Guys,

Was recently blessed with a blank as a present, now it isn't a new rod, but it's a fine blank and as a first starter attempt at building a rod, you really can't argue with the price

I really disklike squeaky rods! IE : When you're casting you can hear the squeak of the line in the guides, and it always feels like there is more resistance on the line for example when casting or shooting line. Especially the Stealth Magnums had a major problem with this, where with my TFO factory builds (using primarily snakelets) this was never of an issue.

My question is this twofold :

1) Is the extra squeak characteristic of eyes over snakes, or is it a case of not all eyelets being made equal ie : a higher quality eyelet has less friction on the line therefore less noise and is a better choice over for example a cheaper snakelet, which still has better performance than the cheaper single foot guide?

and

2) Aside from the obvious factors suchs as more wraps, more epoxy, etc ... what are the benefits/pitfalls of using the one over the other ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Snakes offer larger area through which the line can run, therefore less resistance and, if logic prevails, further casting.

Also the double foot foot halves the amount of pressure created on the wrappings when fighting big fish.

Snakes have less chance getting hooked on branches, etc because of their shape.

I like the way the look!

A quality material will definitely reduce friction/resistance. With regards to single foots vs snakes, well snakes will provide you with extra support. There is extra strength with the snakes, as you have a wrap on both sides of the guide as opposed to one.

It is worth buying quality guides!! Also, for me it depends on the rods application.. heavier rods will definitely gets snalkes on.. lighter rods, I generally put single foots on them. A fuji stripper or two with some Batson chrome guides should do the job and won't cost you an arm and a leg, but it is entirely your choice.. If you want recoil guides or original snakes, they are there at a price..

There are a number of brands, but here is a place to start.
    http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/category/45000

Hope this helps!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

There is an emerging idea with some custom rod builders of using ceramic ringed strippers followed by a couple of double foot snakes and then single foots up the rest of the rod. This distributes the key advantage of each type of guide to exactly where it is most useful on the blank.

I'm in the process of builing my first project with this concept - when I have something first-hand to say about it I will
    The highest form of existence is play.

Quote Originally Posted by William Ewels View Post
    There is an emerging idea with some custom rod builders of using ceramic ringed strippers followed by a couple of double foot snakes and then single foots up the rest of the rod. This distributes the key advantage of each type of guide to exactly where it is most useful on the blank.

I'm in the process of builing my first project with this concept - when I have something first-hand to say about it I will
    Hi William,

I like this concept as it makes sense. It will distribute the stress along the the blank proportionally. Hmmm, Maybe I'll try the same on my next build!

Thanks Guys,

I'm also keen on the idea of the stripper guides, then snakes then single feet guides.

I suppose the general rule of thumb is still to buy the best quality trimmings you can afford that still make sense in terms of the blank.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

"Snakes offer larger area through which the line can run, therefore less resistance and, if logic prevails, further casting"
    Its actually other way around, more surface area means more friction. Single foot guides offer less resistance due to less contact with surface area of the fly line as a result line will shoot out quicker.

The line can only be in contact with a guide at one point at any given time, or am I missing something? The only real difference would be with a snake guide where the guide is slightly more diagonal than a SFG ... and I really don't think it makes a big (or any) difference, but I'm open to be proven wrong.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The line can only be in contact with a guide at one point at any given time, or am I missing something?
    I agree with this statement. There really is gonna be much of a muchness chaps. As I mentioned earlier, the snakes will offer extra support/strength as they are wrapped on both sides.

Check a Sage rod. Whatever is used there, is best.....fishish and klaar.....
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast