Thread: Tagging recapture

Default Tagging recapture

A fish that I tagged (caught on conventional by my friend Matt) has been recaptured:
    A pity the fish was killed.

TAG NO127981 (FISH DIED)

SPECIES:galjoen

DAYS FREE:631

DISTANCE MOVED:15 km

GROWTH:75 mm

No. OF TIMES RECAPTURED:1

TAG RELEASE INFORMATION

TAGGED BY:MR C BOTES

LOCALITY:Blombosstrand / Odendalspunt

DATE:09 Sep 2010

LENGTH:445 mm

MEASUREMENT TYPE:Fork

RECAPTURE INFORMATION

ANGLER:A.J. DE BEER

DATE:01 Jun 2012

LENGTH:520 mm

MEASUREMENT TYPE:Fork

pity bout the no re-release but good sientific data !!
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Fish died of natural causes... neck was broken! I'd be very tempted to eat a 50cm gallie!

It hurts a bit to get that feedback!

My first tagging was a Catface Rockcod caught of Umkomaas that survived for 2 years - if I recall correct - before a Mr. Pillay caught the same fish at Umkomaas again. My catch return note stated "eaten" no word of lie!

On a happier note - I tagged a 95cm Iggie in Southern Moz that was re-caught also approx 2 years later by a rock and surf angler. Weighing in at about 30kg at 115cm according to ORI tables. He removed the heavily algea overgrown tag and release the fish again. Just to show there are other facets of angling also concerned with fish stocks, etc!
    Last edited by HolyGT; 06-06-12 at 02:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Love this type of info!!!

I was pondering about the ORI tagging programme a few months ago, mainly on how to get started and where to get the tagging equipment? any advice, costing, etc?

Thanks
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Hi Arno

Yes, I know a few R&S anglers that return most of their catches as well. I thinks there is an awareness that is slowly developing....

One can contact Stuart Dunlop at ORI to apply for a tagging kit: oritag@ori.org.za

It costs about R300 to get started.

Great info there Conrad...

A buddy of mine tagged a bunch of Yellowtail at Dassen Island off Yzerfontein in September last year.....26 days later the fish was recaptured off Stibel Rocks, which is about 15 kilometres North of Port Shepstone on the KZN South Coast, my hometown, and by a guy I knew growing up.... so this little yellowtail travelled 1700 plus kilometres in just 26 days!!!!

Unfortunately the fish wasn't released again ( I think it may acvtually have been speared ) but pretty incredible how far a small Tail ( weighed 6.7 kilos ) can travel in less than a month! Thats an average of 65 kilometres a day!!!

On a recent trip to Linene in Moz, we caught a GT of about 18 kilos with a Tag in her, and waiting to get the info back... most likely tagged by Adrian the guide/manager at Linene so we are waiting to hear back... should be interesting to see growth and if she'd travelled much or remianed resident on the reef...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post

On a recent trip to Linene in Moz, we caught a GT of about 18 kilos with a Tag in her, and waiting to get the info back... most likely tagged by Adrian the guide/manager at Linene so we are waiting to hear back... should be interesting to see growth and if she'd travelled much or remianed resident on the reef...
    I would be interested to hear where that fish was tagged. IMHO I think that GT are very resident in a home range and that makes them very vulnerable to overfishing. I would like to see them have the same protection as bottomfish in the marine santuary areas where it would be illegal to keep them - only CAR fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    I I would like to see them have the same protection as bottomfish in the marine santuary areas where it would be illegal to keep them - only CAR fishing.
    Hi HGT - I agree with you totally there mate... although I think if we were to take them into this bracket, we run the risk of them not being targettable at all, like alot of reef dwellers in these areas... no jigging allowed etc, would be a shame to be shut of from chasing Geets....

Thankfully 95% of the anglers out there chasing Geets are dedicated CAR anglers, so hopefully the stocks will remain in good condition...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Hi HGT - I agree with you totally there mate... although I think if we were to take them into this bracket, we run the risk of them not being targettable at all, like alot of reef dwellers in these areas... no jigging allowed etc, would be a shame to be shut of from chasing Geets....

Thankfully 95% of the anglers out there chasing Geets are dedicated CAR anglers, so hopefully the stocks will remain in good condition...
    Anyone got a kit I can borrow for the Mazeppa trip? Awesome data this.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson