Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Universal leader set up for my 7 foot 2/3 WT?

Default Universal leader set up for my 7 foot 2/3 WT?

Hi.
    I have now searched this forum high and low for some advice on a leader set up for my Xplorer Classic 2/3WT. I have come to the conclusion that my PC skills must have let me down along the way to get the right info plus i battle to use the advanced search on the forum.

So here goes. What would a universal leader set up consist of?
    Et1

To fish is human,
    to throw back is divine

Ettienne, I know verry little about leader construction. So if you wanted the formula for making your own sorry boet, I'm sure there are some leader fundi's here that will help.

What I would do, buy a 5X tapered jobbie cut off the thick back part and just attach 6X to the front and fish that.

Like I said not a fundi but this will work.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Hi AB1

Dankie! My good mate Schlossd1 also advised on a similar set up with a 4X tapered leader to fly line and then use of variety X tippet to leader. This seems to make sense. i target trout maybe once or twice a year so this is all fairly new to me.
    Et1

To fish is human,
    to throw back is divine

It really depends on a number of things. Forstly, have a good hard critical look at you casting. If you cant cast a 2/3 wt according to the conditions that you are fishing it with, no leader setup is going to help. Decide if you are planning on fishing very close, ie, under 6 meters from rod tip, middle distance being round 10 meters, or longer casts. Chances are that you would do all of them in an average days fishing, so you going to need to know how to adjust you casting technique accordingly. Also decide if it's for nymphing, dry fly, streamer work, or any other application. The better you become, the more you will realise that a good leader for one application, isn't going to neccessarilly suit another application. It's probably more difficult to make good short casts, than it is to make longer casts. The rod you have chosen, is not very good at very short casts, so you going to have to be carefull how you make it work for you.
    As a starting point, I would go for a fairly short leader, with a total length of about a rod and a half. Take a standard factory tapered leader of 9 foot, and my take is, don't cut off the back section. Why would they have it there if people cut it off. These leaders are designed to work as they come, so make it work as is. If you are using a 5x, then step it down with two equal section of 6 x then 7 x, to the fly.
    See how this works for you. You are also going to have to prepare yourself for many different points of view from the forum, as each and every fly fisherman, has his preferred leader setup, that isn't going to work for everyone. I personally choose a soft tip rod, with a very long leader, which would certainly not be ideal for everyone.
    Good luck'
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks Andre. Makes sense. The water that I fish is a small stream with a few ponds created by weirs. The casting distance at most is 15m or less depending on your approach to the water. Dry flies are mostly used with some nymphing. So your advise will come in handy. I look forward to more input from my fellow Flytalkers.
    Et1

To fish is human,
    to throw back is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    As a starting point, I would go for a fairly short leader, with a total length of about a rod and a half. Take a standard factory tapered leader of 9 foot, and my take is, don't cut off the back section. Why would they have it there if people cut it off. These leaders are designed to work as they come, so make it work as is. If you are using a 5x, then step it down with two equal section of 6 x then 7 x, to the fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Et1 View Post
    Thanks Andre. Makes sense. The water that I fish is a small stream with a few ponds created by weirs. The casting distance at most is 15m or less depending on your approach to the water. Dry flies are mostly used with some nymphing. So your advise will come in handy. I look forward to more input from my fellow Flytalkers.
    This is a simple process for me.

I would suggest a standard 9ft 4X leader, but you do want to cutt off ~1ft of butt section, since you want ot use this on a 3wt, while most trout leaders are designed for a ~5wt. Attach to your flyline with either nail knot or a perfection loop in the butt section. After the knots, you should end up with a ~7 1/2 ft leader.
    Now tie a perfection loop in the 4X tip and add ~3 feet 6X tippet directly to the 4X via a loop-to-loop. There is no need to step down to 6X via 5X. If you prefer the direct attachment, then rather tie a 4/5 turn blood knot or surgeons to add the tippet.

If 6X is too fine for you or you fish bigger flies, then rather use a 3X leader, follow the same process above and add 5X tippet.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    If 6X is too fine for you or you fish bigger flies, then rather use a 3X leader, follow the same process above and add 5X tippet.
    In the context of a 2/3WT setup ... what is your definition of bigger flies ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Why not try the Orvis "Super Strong" tapered leaders which come ready made in 6ft (0x - 4x) and 7.5ft (0x - 6x) sizes. These are what I use for my 6ft and 7.5ft rods.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Would anyone be able to clarify my leaader length? I am told that the ;eader should be as long as the rod, in this case 7ft. If so then the set up Gary explained seems to be just about right. I also like the Orvis tapered leader sugestion JustinM. Thank you for the help so far guys.
    Et1

To fish is human,
    to throw back is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    In the context of a 2/3WT setup ... what is your definition of bigger flies ?
    I'd say a dry bigger than a #14 Parachute or a Hopper. For nymphs, that would also be a tungsten #12 or a #12 bugger. 6X is a little fine/will twist with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Et1 View Post
    Would anyone be able to clarify my leaader length? I am told that the leader should be as long as the rod, in this case 7ft. If so then the set up Gary explained seems to be just about right. I also like the Orvis tapered leader sugestion JustinM. Thank you for the help so far guys.
    It is a rule-of-thumb that your leader (*excluding* tippet) should be around rod length. Also, I would never recommend a tippet being less than 2 foot long.
    For me, on a 3wt, a ~7 1/2ft leader + 3 ft tippet would work well with a small 3wt on a stream.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast