Wingcase: Ringneck pheasant rump feather
    Thorax: Hare’e ice dubbing color to suite abdomen
    Legs: Ringneck pheasant fibers
    Eyes: Twin damsel bead eyes

Step 1
    Crimp the barb of the hook and inset the twin bead onto the hook

Untitled.jpg

Step 2
    Tie in a short tail using either the longer filoplume feathers or some ringneck pheasant rump marabou of the same color. As well as some mallard flank tips and the copper ribbing.

Untitled-1.jpg

Step 3
    Tie in the filoplume feather as shown. It is the small feather at the base of the ring neck rump. See note

Untitled-2.jpg

Step 4
    Using a hackle pliers wind the filoplume forward as shown and tie off

Untitled-3.jpg

Step 5
    This process is repeated all the way forward to where the thorax will start. On a size 8 streamer hook I usually use about 7-8 feathers. Wind the rib through to the front in tie down. I wind the rib in the opposite direction as what the feathers where wound.

Untitled-4.jpg

Step 6
    For the wingcase I use ringnek pheasant rump. Strip the marabou off the sides and tie it in as shown. That will be pulled over the thorax and the eyes

Untitled-5.jpg
    Last edited by WJvE; 09-06-12 at 03:48 PM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

Step 7
    Make a small dubbing noodle and dub the thorax up to the eye. Here I tie in some legs at the bottom also using ringnek pheasant fibers

Untitled-6.jpg

Step 8
    Pull the wingcase over the thorax and catch it in just behind the eye. Secure the eye with some figure of eight wraps

Untitled-7.jpg

Step 9
    Pull the wing case over the eyes and secure. Tie off and varnish

Untitled-8.jpg Untitled-9.jpg

Note : The filoplume feather that is used comes from the ringnek pheasant rum feather. It is the small feather at the back. You can also use the natural color which is almost grey. I’ve caught quite a few trout on them as well. But you can buy the foloplume feathers as well in the color that you like just make sure it’s not marabou filoplumes they are too big. I prefer the olive feathers above all others. Dean’s filoplume was tied originally in brown in his book and that also looks like i deadly color.

Untitled-10.jpg Untitled-11.jpg

A lovely description as to how to fish this pattern is in Dean Riphangen’s book “the south African fly fishing handbook” as well as his SBS without the twin beads. This pattern is a must in anyone’s Stillwater flybox and one of the best dragon imitations around according to me.
    Last edited by WJvE; 09-06-12 at 03:52 PM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

Hey WJvE, i have been looking for a filoplume dragon tying artical for ages so thanks. Where do I get filoplume feathers as they are as scarce as hens teeth?!?! And Ringneck Pheasant rump feather? Thanks again!

I gave up tying to find filoplume years ago when I found this pattern. Just as effective and MUCH easier to find materials as its just marabou.

IMG-20121009-00064.jpg
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 18-03-13 at 12:27 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey