Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you know.....

Default Do you know.....

Greenwell's Glory, Yellow Sally, Kate McLaren, Butcher, Professor, Wickham's Fancy, March Brown, Jock Scott, Silver Invicta, ........

Maybe you should introduce yourself, They might improve your trout fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The CLASSICS! Very nice.

You forgot the Black Phantom (the original one that is)
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Kate McLaren kills the dullstroom stockies better than a blob! but all those flies are brilliant

Any fly kills a stocky, as long as you keep it moving. So !! in my view, go back to basics.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Any fly kills a stocky, as long as you keep it moving. So !! in my view, go back to basics.
    DAVE
    Orange wooly bugger. Het al kompetisies gewen met daai fly. Koning
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Don't forget the Connemara Black, Alexandra, the traditional Invicta, Wickham's Fancy and the Royal Coachman (wet). The 1st three make up my three favourite classic flies and are good trout catching flies, despite being very out of fashion I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Hi Korrie

Must admit I am partial to using Traditional Trout Wet Flies, especially a Kate McLaren (both traditional & sunburst) Kingfisher Butcher, Pearly & Black Pennels & the Dunkeld.

Attachment 18427Attachment 18428
    Alex,
    Lovely flies, I am sure they are all 100% the same, immaculately tied.

For those who have not seen Alex's fly boxes, really impressive.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Don't forget the Connemara Black, Alexandra, the traditional Invicta, Wickham's Fancy and the Royal Coachman (wet). The 1st three make up my three favourite classic flies and are good trout catching flies, despite being very out of fashion I would think.
    Hi Justin
    Ass you mentoned, all half decent fly fishers in the UK and Europe will have a a good number of the classics in his fly box, as they are gauranteed to catch you a fish on a difficult day.
    Korrie Broos

Ironically a friend from the Maclear side was here yesterday morning, and we spoke about the traditional wet flies, and why people still fished them and why not. We come to some sort of conclusion (probably way off), but it goes something like this ...

Mostly those style flies were fished on intermediate/sinking lines, and the flies themselves are/were most likely unweighted, and fished as a single fly. Nowadays we fished with floating lines and weighted flies, and multiple flies as well. When we do fish an unweighted fly, it's with a weighted dropper fly to get it to the zone, or with putty or splitshot. Not sure if this was done in the "old days"?

So when people fish the wets these days, they pretty much fish them with floating lines etc, don't get into the zones, and therefore don't take a lot of fish. So it's probably (in our quessed opinions) a matter of not fishing these unweighted flies in the zone. Just a guess.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

When i lived in Scotland, i would often start with a little traditional if the wind was blowing, and pull it just under the surface, creating a wake. The method hammered the fish! not only in the stillwaters, but also in the rivers! I have alot of respect for these flies, many dont believe they work, however, if they are fished right, they really pull fish.

Nick
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast