Thread: My New 3wt

Default My New 3wt

Well after many months of looking for the right 3wt I think i found what i was looking for.
    A sage z-axis 3wt 9ft.
    I bought it from a forum memeber who had it build by Derek Smith.
    Now let me say that the finish exceeds all my expectations and to me is neater than a factory rod.I have a complete different view now about having a rod built,if this is the quality of work the guys offer.
    The rod suits my style perfect and is a nice fast action,yet not as fast as I thought,but actually perfect.

Well done on the new rod. I have a 4 weight Z-axis built by Derek and it is brilliant! Exceptionally good work.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Well after many months of looking for the right 3wt I think i found what i was looking for.
    A sage z-axis 3wt 9ft.
    I bought it from a forum memeber who had it build by Derek Smith.
    Now let me say that the finish exceeds all my expectations and to me is neater than a factory rod.I have a complete different view now about having a rod built,if this is the quality of work the guys offer.
    The rod suits my style perfect and is a nice fast action,yet not as fast as I thought,but actually perfect.
    Enjoy it!! Customs are always a personal thing, but will always have attention to detail!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Nice you going to enjoy that rod forever. I must add Dereks work is superb and affordable. Personally i wouldn’t go any other route and if i could get my hands on a G loomis blank he would be the one to build it too, Let’s see if this will ever be possible.
    Here is some of his handy work.

IMG-20120312-00101.jpgIMG-20120312-00102.jpgIMG-20120425-00210.jpgIMG-20120425-00212.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Andre s View Post
    Personally i wouldn’t go any other route and if i could get my hands on a G loomis blank he would be the one to build it too, Let’s see if this will ever be possible.
    If.. Is certainly the question! Almost impossible. A few guys have asked me to build up a G-loomis.. just can't get thye blanks...

Maybe we get lucky, who knows, policies can change.

Maybe just maybe someone might get the idea that if they sold blanks, there is a possibility that they could increase their market penetration in South Africa, which at the moment is very small considering they have such a good product?

Now that we discussing this topic. Who here would be interested in buying a G loomis blank opposed to a factory build?

I have the feeling that there would be many more guys fishing Loomis here if blanks were actually available. What do you think?

I agree.. It's a great blank and people are always asking about them.

Anyway bud, enjoy your 3wt Sage.. It's a great rod!!