Thread: Barbel Popper

Default Barbel Popper

Here is a pattern i saw a very long while back that i thought is supper easy and very effective.I added a little twist i.t.o the legs and instead of marabou I use calftail.
    1.cut 2 lengths of foam about 2.5 times the length of hook and about 2/3 the width of the hook gape(size 4 bass bug hook or similar).Cut pieces into a bit of a taper,either rounded or squared.
    2.Tie in a length of caftail (colour you want)and add 4 strands of flash on either side.
    3.Use a thin strip of foam and palmer it around the shank to form a body with your tying thread remaining at the rear of the fly.
    4.Push the 2 sections of foam over the eye of the hook (can be done one at a time).
    5.Tie the side section first and secure near bend of hook.
    6.Now tie down the top section of foam and ensure you pull a little tighter so that the head is a bit more solid.(at this point a small drop of supper glue can be added to the section where the two foams meet just to keep them sturdy,but the fly is pretty sturdy without.)
    7.Trim the tag ends of the foam off neatly.
    8.add 4 lengths of rubber legs to either side.
    9.trim to desired length.(i will keep them slightly shorter so that they dont hang too long in the water column)
    10.Add some detail to the top of the fly by either dotting it or giving it a bit of colour You can also add eyes to the side of the head.etc.pop1.jpgpop2.jpgpop3.jpgpop4.jpgpop5.jpgpop6.jpgpop7.jpgpop8.jpgpop9.jpgpop10.jpgpop11.jpg
    Last edited by core fly; 29-06-12 at 02:08 PM.

Very interesting!

Good or bad??

Add some baby doll eyes will give it a bit more of a funky look, and will also add sound but otherwise its a gnarley fly!
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

The barbel will love that!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Thats pretty awesome fly!