Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: CTS Affinity One 5wt Build

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You get that blank from Derek Smith? Or direct from overseas? Gatti is a good blank apparently.
    Got it through Derek.

It feels like it will do what I want from it, it is a 3wt progressive action rod for the KZN trout streams and rivers. Action feels nice and the blank is very light.

Quality wise, from a general overall appearance perspective, its not on par with the bigger brand names like Sage in my opinion as I read in certain reviews, but then again it was less than half the price of a similar Sage blank.

Time will tell I suppose. Should start building it in the next week or so.

I've tried white thread mario...but only on an old dark-green blank section. The finish was already quite sticky, so i didn't get the saturation I wanted and the full effect.

Before the final wrapping og the guides on these z-axis's, I'm going to test Olive, White, Dark Green, Medium Green on a spare section of blank to see what looks nice.
    When I test wrapped with the Olive thread and put some Flexcoat on it, my first thought was "Z-Axis". When I build one later in the year, it will most definitely be wrapped with this thread, with a fine Rust trim band.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    When I test wrapped with the Olive thread and put some Flexcoat on it, my first thought was "Z-Axis". When I build one later in the year, it will most definitely be wrapped with this thread, with a fine Rust trim band.
    Sage uses gold thread, #340 I think (?) from Gudebrod. I got this, the rust, black colour they use on the factory rods. But will check out the Olive colour too...maybe substitute the gold thread that Sage use on the Z-Axis with the Olive. Makes it more unique too.

But then again, you know what Dean would say... "Looks t*s man, your @ss!" etc etc etc *sigh*

Got it through Derek.

It feels like it will do what I want from it, it is a 3wt progressive action rod for the KZN trout streams and rivers. Action feels nice and the blank is very light.

Quality wise, from a general overall appearance perspective, its not on par with the bigger brand names like Sage in my opinion as I read in certain reviews, but then again it was less than half the price of a similar Sage blank.

Time will tell I suppose. Should start building it in the next week or so.
    Damn Shaun, I should have known earlier. I'm going to be bringing in some 3wt blanks from the States, 5 piece. They are progessive medium-fast, and very good looking. Also get 2wt, and of course up to 12wt.
    Available in 5 piece, 4 piece, 3 piece...even 7 piece rods.

But then again, you know what Dean would say... "Looks t*s man, your @ss!" etc etc etc *sigh*
    Had a good laugh at his expense when I built my XP. I spoke to him first to see if I could source anything through him. He tried to talk me out of doing it, saying I'd probably cock it up. I ignored him and went ahead anyway and showed it to him for the first time in March when I saw him. He ate his words !!

Damn Shaun, I should have known earlier. I'm going to be bringing in some 3wt blanks from the States, 5 piece. They are progessive medium-fast, and very good looking. Also get 2wt, and of course up to 12wt.
    Available in 5 piece, 4 piece, 3 piece...even 7 piece rods.
    Nice ! Would be interested to hear more.

Well it won't be the last rod I build, but I would like a Z Axis as my next build after the Gatti.

Talking

Nice ! Would be interested to hear more.

Well it won't be the last rod I build, but I would like a Z Axis as my next build after the Gatti.
    The latest rods I built have been 2 x Rainshadow blanks...the 5wt (for a mate) has a similar action to an XP, maybe a little softer. Nice colour though...deep forest/emerald green. The 9wt (for myself) I opted for the matte clear (grey) blank...stiff rod, really powerful. The Rainshadow blanks are nice, and well priced.
    Then I've started on the 2 x Z-axis. One's for me, of course...always wanted to own "the best rod in the world", but didn't want to buy the factory rod. They take shortcuts...bubbles in the finish, etc. I'll show you some pics when I'm done.

These other blanks I'm going to bring in, I have some factory rods of them already, will post a pic here soon.

Hey...Dean was brought up believing the best rod in the world is a factory-built Sage.

Wonder if he knows they send their kits to a bunch of housewives to wrap? hehe

Sage uses gold thread, #340 I think (?) from Gudebrod. I got this, the rust, black colour they use on the factory rods. But will check out the Olive colour too...maybe substitute the gold thread that Sage use on the Z-Axis with the Olive. Makes it more unique too.

They use the 340 on the TXL as well - have not seen a Z-Axis - heavier than #0
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I've been having a look at pre-formed grips as I probably won't turn my own grip this time. But I've got some big mitts so prefer a bigger diameter grip. I like the grips that Sage use, feel about the right size - I believe they use Strubles at 1 1/8" diameter. Does anyone know of any other manufacturers with wider grips?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    I've been having a look at pre-formed grips as I probably won't turn my own grip this time. But I've got some big mitts so prefer a bigger diameter grip. I like the grips that Sage use, feel about the right size - I believe they use Strubles at 1 1/8" diameter. Does anyone know of any other manufacturers with wider grips?
    the only thing i could find was this:

Grade "A" Cork Ring 1 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/2" from here

i'm still looking though
    the patient mental...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast