Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medium, medium-fast and Fast 1990 vs 2012

Default Medium, medium-fast and Fast 1990 vs 2012

I read some articles from yesteryear and compared to what is written on one or 2 rod manufacturers' websites.

I started wondering if the Medium, Medium-fast and the fast rods from 22 years ago are judged by the same criteria as the medium, medium-fast and fast rods of today, or have the criteria become "faster"?

What is your opinion or experience?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

No Experience, but surley Glass rods could not be graded the same way as Graphite!!! or maybe they can.............

http://www.cabelas.com/gifts-fisherm...ass-rods.shtml
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Blog Entries

I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

This issue about rod actions is so widely misunderstood that even within the trade there's uncertainty about terms and definitions. My understanding is that the action (described as extra fast, fast or whatever else) refers to where the blank deflects or flexes, not to how much force is required to flex it. Nowadays, with several different resins and graphites to work with, the issue of blank recovery rate has also come into play, and to confuse matters this is also termed as fast, slow or something inbetween. The power or stiffness of a blank refers to how much force is required to flex it, and this is where line ratings come into it, with an accepted range specified for each "weight." It is true that some blanks are stiffer or more powerful than the line rating suggests, but this is not to be confused with fast- or extra-fast actions, even though most of these "poles" also happen to be fast-actioned. Make sense? Guess not!

Thanks.

I am wondering if you cast a fast action rod from 1990 and one from 2012, how much different the action will fee.

as you mentioned, the materials have probably the biggest influence.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

I also think that this might be a very difficult thing to do, as bamboo rods and fibre glass rods have more of a tendancy to experience changes as they get old. I have an old fibre glass rod, which was quite stiff when I got it, now its gone very floppy, so I don't know if this is normal.
    I don't think graphite would do this over time.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    experience changes as they get old. I have an old fibre glass rod, which was quite stiff when I got it, now its gone very floppy, so I don't know if this is normal.
    It is normal with old age, a cure is a little blue tablet.
    Korrie Broos

Heh heh...... no the cure is divorce........
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    This issue about rod actions is so widely misunderstood that even within the trade there's uncertainty about terms and definitions. My understanding is that the action (described as extra fast, fast or whatever else) refers to where the blank deflects or flexes, not to how much force is required to flex it. Nowadays, with several different resins and graphites to work with, the issue of blank recovery rate has also come into play, and to confuse matters this is also termed as fast, slow or something inbetween. The power or stiffness of a blank refers to how much force is required to flex it, and this is where line ratings come into it, with an accepted range specified for each "weight." It is true that some blanks are stiffer or more powerful than the line rating suggests, but this is not to be confused with fast- or extra-fast actions, even though most of these "poles" also happen to be fast-actioned. Make sense? Guess not!
    Maybe we should be buying rods on material used and not on action?
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Maybe we should be buying rods on material used and not on action?
    Only idiots buy rods on action. Rods are bought according to their suitability to a chosen application. If action is a factor, then well and good, but rod action is no criteria to choose a rod. That way, you buy a rod, then find something to do with it, rather than looking at the fishing application, and then choosing the best suited rod.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast