Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Medium, medium-fast and Fast 1990 vs 2012

The Stealth X treme is a lovely stick (have one) dont know the others.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post

There are three other "older" blanks I love.... The Fenwick Star Richardson Tarpon Special Boron (ok thats WAY back), Stealth X-treme and the Sage Xi2 (ok that ones not that old). Boron has such a great feel to it.
    Pete, the Stealth X-treme was my rod of choice before I grew up and could upgrade. I've got a #2, #4 and #5 stashed away somewhere at home (semi - retired). All great rods and served me very well over the years. Such a class all round rod - especially with its price tag - and has always been my recommendation to guys starting out. My first #9 was a three piece Stealth XL - fantastic rod and wasn't surprised when I was told that (I do stand to be corrected) that the XLs where all Redington blanks. It still hands out punishment off the boat twelve years later! What are the new Stealths like? Anyone out there who can compare those older models to the newer ones?

I also have a Hardy JHH Triumph splitcane that, when I'm feeling the chill-out factor, I like to string up and enjoy the slow, almost living, response. I even acquired a silk line for it and have had a load of fun jamming it old school. Such a different experience to any modern rod. Its something sensual - you have to feel your way way through every cast and every fish.

Quote Originally Posted by fdavis View Post
    Pete, the Stealth X-treme was my rod of choice before I grew up and could upgrade. I've got a #2, #4 and #5 stashed away somewhere at home (semi - retired). All great rods and served me very well over the years. Such a class all round rod - especially with its price tag - and has always been my recommendation to guys starting out. My first #9 was a three piece Stealth XL - fantastic rod and wasn't surprised when I was told that (I do stand to be corrected) that the XLs where all Redington blanks. It still hands out punishment off the boat twelve years later! What are the new Stealths like? Anyone out there who can compare those older models to the newer ones?

I also have a Hardy JHH Triumph splitcane that, when I'm feeling the chill-out factor, I like to string up and enjoy the slow, almost living, response. I even acquired a silk line for it and have had a load of fun jamming it old school. Such a different experience to any modern rod. Its something sensual - you have to feel your way way through every cast and every fish.
    Hi fred, they wouldn't be Reddington blanks, but might be made at the same Chinese factory as the Reddington blanks. What happens sometimes, is that Reddington, or any other brand, would place an order for say, 100 blanks. The manufacturer would produce 120. Then Reddington would choose the best 100 blanks, and the rest would be sold to other people like Stealth, Explorer, etc. So ya, it might be a Reddington over run, but the Stealth Extreme was a nice tool, particularly the SXR range. The SXR's were the 2nd generation of Stealth Extreme and came in 3 piece. The first generation of Extreme, was a 2 piece variety, and shouldn't be confused with the Extreme SXR range, as it was a hopelessly inferior choice to the newer 3 piece option.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi fred, they wouldn't be Reddington blanks, but might be made at the same Chinese factory as the Reddington blanks. What happens sometimes, is that Reddington, or any other brand, would place an order for say, 100 blanks. The manufacturer would produce 120. Then Reddington would choose the best 100 blanks, and the rest would be sold to other people like Stealth, Explorer, etc. So ya, it might be a Reddington over run, but the Stealth Extreme was a nice tool, particularly the SXR range. The SXR's were the 2nd generation of Stealth Extreme and came in 3 piece. The first generation of Extreme, was a 2 piece variety, and shouldn't be confused with the Extreme SXR range, as it was a hopelessly inferior choice to the newer 3 piece option.
    Andre, as I said, I stand to be corrected. However, it was however a Stealth XL; the extreme came later. The guys I got it from were industry (travel) leaders and had more rods than I care to remember. The Redingtons they had were identical in colour hue and action. And that's what they told me a few years later; same rod. And by what you saying, the blanks are still produced for, say Redington, which means they're the same rod.

I've never fished extremes so don't know much about them.

Same story with Stealth's LA III reels which are identical in every way (right to bag) as the Redington AL 9/10 reels.

+1 i dont like the feel of spaghetti

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123