Thread: Black Death

Default Black Death

Here's my version of the very successful brush fly patterns used to target, amongst other things the bruisers of the flats, GT's. Key features are the size and profile, BIG holo tab eyes, the large circle hook and the black lateral scale.

step done.jpg

The pattern calls for:
    • A large heavy gauge saltwater hook. I used a 9/0 Mustad Z-Steel circle as you can put some serious pressure on it and as a bonus it keels the fly very nicely compared to a J-hook. Being carbon steel they're far thinner gauge than the equivalent strength stainless hook but the "z-steel" coating makes them 8x more corrosion resistant apparently.
    • Red bucktail
    • Various saddle hackles, I've used a mix of black, red and grizzly purple.
    • Wide brushes, I've gone with black and red.
    • Black lateral scale - it might not be necessary but it really goes add a realistic trigger.
    • The biggest eyes you can find - I've gone with 15mm holo tab eyes

Step 1:
    Lay a decent thread base and coat it with a little super glue. You really dont want your materials slipping on the shank.
    Step1.jpg

Step 2:
    Tie in a small amount of red bucktail to give the fly some structure and support the hackles
    Step2.jpg

Step 3:
    Tie in the 4 black hackles, matching the curve of the hackle with the correct side of the fly
    step3.jpg

Step 4:
    Sandwiche 2 red hackles between the black hackles and the 2 grizzly hackles.
    step4.jpg

Step 5:
    Add a piece of lateral scale on each side of the fly to immitate the baitfish's lateral line. Ensure it's roughly 30mm longer than the rest of the fly.
    step5.jpg

Step 6:
    Tie in the black brush and wind forward leaving a gap before the hook eye, finishing off with 2 winds of red brush. Lastly tie in the tab eyes and whip finish. Use your bodkin to pick out any trapped brush fibres.
    step6.jpg

Finally add a length of 100lb commitment "tippet", a trip to an idyllic beach/flat/reef and a pair of strong arms
    Check your knots!

Nice tie Dave, I like the look of this fly!
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Excellent fly!
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Excellent fly!
    Thanks guys! Means a lot since you two are the guys who's flies I like enough to actually fish - Bertu tied me a span of controls and nymphs when I started fishing the vaal seriously and Rory the epoxy controls with the gills...
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Thanks guys!
    Your tying has much improved young padawan, in fact I think you're deserving of admission to the rank of Jedi and I will be coming for lessons from you!
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.