Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: starting off....

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharlie View Post
    i will def only do freshwater angling, the budget will only be 2k to start off with hopefully it is enough
    I stay in Gauteng

thanks for the tip Andre, where in gauteng would you suggest i go to?
    I dont live in Gauteng, so i cant really refer you to a club, but Im sure there will be guys on the forum who can refer you. You probably goint to start with a trip to the Vaal, or to a stocked trout venue. Either one could be a good strting point. For a fair introduction to a decent fish on the end of a line, wait until the warmer months, and try and bribe a few guys with a beer and some fuel, to take you along to the Vaal when they are heading that way, and learn a few things by "stealing with the eyes". Yellowfish are great fun, and are generally quite easy to catch at certain times of the year, if you observe a few basics which the guys will show you. Trout ponds can be unpredictable depending on many factors, but there also, try and piggy back along if you can. I know that some of the guys are saying a 5 wt will serve you well, and it probably will, but you get many different types of 5wts, with equally as many different characteristics, so don't buy anything until you get a chance to speak to one of the expertas at your local fly shop, and perhaps even get a basic casting lesson. 2K should be enough for a basic kit, but there are other things you will need that are going to push you above that, but ask anything here, and you will get decent enough answers.
    Good luck, and welcome to a whole new world.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Welcome to FT. Ditto on Andre's advice, join somebody on a trip or two and use borrowed equipmet. get the feel of what you want before you buy. then go and buy the best equipment you can afford. do not skimp on the line! especially if you gonna target trout and need to be able to make delicate presentations.

being in Gauteng I presume most of your fishing is gonna be in the Vaal going after yellows. lots of fun and you do not need to be a master-caster to catch a fish.One last piece of advise, spend a couple of hour on the lawn and learn to cast with the borrowed equipment, get the fly out 15 or 20 metres before you go to the water to catch a troot. Yellows are different, basic casting will get you a fish.
    Eduaard is right ito casting skills when he refers to the summer "plonk and drift" method of fishing for yellows and muddies.

However there are as many ways to catch a yellow as there are to cast a line.

The previous posts referring to borrowed kit and casting lessons are spot on !

P.S. Eduaard, come fish with us in winter for skittish SM and LM , then you will realise that plonk casting don't work

The invite & accommodation is always open friend.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Morning Charlieee

I started of with a Stealth start 5 weight set up. I bought flies that was recommended for the waters I was going to fish. I watched a tutorial video(vhs tape) and never looked back.
    There are many casting lessons on youtube.
    Once you know that Fly fishing will be part of your lifestyle then upgrade as your budget dictates.
    I am self taught as here in Knysna was no fly fishing clubs or help at all. But yes, join a club, the energy from it will help you in leaps and bounds. And remember there is no stupid questions

You will be hooked for life, it is a hobby that turns into a passion that leads to addiction that leads to divorce.ha ha

Enjoy and good luck

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post

You will be hooked for life, it is a hobby that turns into a passion that leads to addiction that leads to divorce.ha ha
    hahahah! Thanks Brian

and thanks to the rest of the feedback guys, cant wait to start this journey

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharlie View Post
    shots thomas......do you know if they have equipment you can rent at brookwood?
    Hi - just to answer this query - there are basic fly rods for rent @ Brookwood, suggest you go during the week if at all possible as it can sometimes get quite crowded during the weekend.

Won,t be needed. I will supply all you need.

I will be going to Brookwood on Friday morning with River runs, you are more than welcome to join.

Please PM your cell number.

Thomas

"If you always do, what you always did, you will always get, what you always got."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2