Thread: 4Piece Fly Rod pieces Stuck!! Help ***********

Default 4Piece Fly Rod pieces Stuck!! Help ***********

Hey Guys

I need some help ASAP!!

I have a 4-piece Xplorer Classic 2 fly rod and 2 of the pieces are stuck...I cant get it loose :-/

Anyone having the same problem?? What can I do?? Help!

1.Get someone to help.Be careful not to stuff up the guides.
    2.Place rod behind your back whilst in a crouched position. Try and force it loose by pulling away from each other.
    3.Next time use a bit of candle wax before assembling it.

Good luck it can be very annoying!

Here is an old rock and surf trick that might just help. I do not know if i can put in word so it will make sense.

Find a place to stand, take the section that is stuck about a hand width form the ferrule with one hand, bend over slightly and bend your knees slightly, put the rod behind your knees (back of knees) with your other hand grab the rod on the other stuck section about a hands width from the ferrule. Now using your legs and knees against your arms open your legs and pull with your arms. This addes power should get the secotions to part.

it sounds idiotic looks about the same but it has helped me a couple of times.

Hope it helps
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Hi
    this might sound funny, but put in fridge or deep freeze, let cool down and try to pull apart.

There is an old science experiment, where you have a ring and a ball.
    The ball cannot go thru the ring at room temp.
    Put in freezer and the ball goes thru the ring.
    Interesting, think abouthow it works

The same principle applies to the rods, not always, but most of the times, it will loosen the rod peices.
    If you dont have a fridge long enough, try ice pack.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Take it to your local tackle distributor ... they usually have a rubber hand grip designed for exactly that purpose.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
    Here is an old rock and surf trick that might just help. I do not know if i can put in word so it will make sense.

Find a place to stand, take the section that is stuck about a hand width form the ferrule with one hand, bend over slightly and bend your knees slightly, put the rod behind your knees (back of knees) with your other hand grab the rod on the other stuck section about a hands width from the ferrule. Now using your legs and knees against your arms open your legs and pull with your arms. This addes power should get the secotions to part.

it sounds idiotic looks about the same but it has helped me a couple of times.

Hope it helps
    If that does not work - get 4 x pieces of hand sizes flat rubber (inner tube works well) + 1 extra person.

Stand facing the other person, you need on hand on the lower section & one hand on the upper section. The other person does the same, so that your hands alternate. Both persons pull their hands apart smoothly, using the rubber to ensure a good grip.

When you do get it apart, clean all male and female sections of the rod (I use earbuds for the female & a cotton swab for the male + some warm water & a drop of soap. You will be amazed at how dirty these things get.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Penetrating spray if you're really desperate but the old inner tube and rod behind your knees trick as above works pretty well.

I keep a small section of candle wax in my reel bag and all of the ferrules get a quick application everytime i put the rods together. Busted the eyes off of my 10ft twice before I started doing this!
    Check your knots!