Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Aitutaki - Cook Islands

I visited the Cook Islands in 2010 but unfortunately not with a fishing rod. I didn't get out to Aitutaki, but stayed on the main island, Rarotonga. It's a great place and a relatively "new" bonefish destination so I'm sure you will have a great time. Make sure you try an "umu" (the same as a "hangi" in NZ) where they cook meat and other foods in the ground, under hot rocks. You will also find Super rugby on in the bars if you are there in March - I remember watching the Sharks beat the Hurricanes in a bar there, much to the locals' disgust.

Here is a video to watch that will whet the appetite and perhaps give you an idea for a guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28M_L...eature=related

Enjoy.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Dizzy, my mate went fishing there last year. They did a few guided days then a fews days on their own. You must book a guide for at least one day to show you the ropes, especially if you haven't done this sort of fishing before. I think there are only 2 or 3 guides on the island and they are very busy so you will need to book well in advance of your trip. My mate said the fishing wasn't easy and they didn't catch a lot of bonefish, but those they caught were absolute stonkers - this place is reknowned for bones over 10lb. But there are also plenty of easy trevally to keep you occupied between bones.

I can ask my mate for more info on flies, etc if you like.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Hi Kevin

As Dizzy said I can go in his place, please forward all the info to me.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    Dizzy, my mate went fishing there last year. They did a few guided days then a fews days on their own. You must book a guide for at least one day to show you the ropes, especially if you haven't done this sort of fishing before. I think there are only 2 or 3 guides on the island and they are very busy so you will need to book well in advance of your trip. My mate said the fishing wasn't easy and they didn't catch a lot of bonefish, but those they caught were absolute stonkers - this place is reknowned for bones over 10lb. But there are also plenty of easy trevally to keep you occupied between bones.

I can ask my mate for more info on flies, etc if you like.
    Thanks Kevin, I believe its quite well known for its large bones. Seen that video that Justin posted the link to below - damn awesome.
    Yeah, I'd appreciate it if you could get some more info on the flies your mate used.
    Also if you could find out which guide he used. Like you said, apparently there are 3, and they're related to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    I visited the Cook Islands in 2010 but unfortunately not with a fishing rod. I didn't get out to Aitutaki, but stayed on the main island, Rarotonga. It's a great place and a relatively "new" bonefish destination so I'm sure you will have a great time. Make sure you try an "umu" (the same as a "hangi" in NZ) where they cook meat and other foods in the ground, under hot rocks. You will also find Super rugby on in the bars if you are there in March - I remember watching the Sharks beat the Hurricanes in a bar there, much to the locals' disgust.

Here is a video to watch that will whet the appetite and perhaps give you an idea for a guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28M_L...eature=related

Enjoy.
    Thanks Justin, I'll watch the rugga if I manage to get around to it, but think I will be otherwise occupied.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Thanks dude.
    Any recommendations on flies, etc?
    For the bones ?

Charlies, Puffs, Rolling Bead Crabs, etc.

For the Kingies ?

Clousers, Sempers, Profiles, Gurler's/Flippers.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

James Christmas has just been there and wrote an extensive article on it http://blog.aardvarkmcleod.com/
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Very interesting article...
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3