Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dubbing, the foundation, cornerstone and building blocks of fresh water fly tying.

Default Dubbing, the foundation, cornerstone and building blocks of fresh water fly tying.

Dubbing is the most underrated fly tying material.

As mentioned, it is the foundation, cornerstone and the building blocks of freshwater fly tying.

This is a general thread and conversastion, to talk about various types of dubbing, characteristics, uses etc..
    If you have any questions, opinions experiences list them here.
    lets start off with the various types of dubbing. Please list your contribution here.
    Antron,
    Hare's ear,
    Possum
    seal's fur
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Eager to see some decent discussion amongst the more experienced guys, but I have a question about waxing thread for dubbing purposes. I've read a few locals suggesting Pritt (the original red tube), but does it do anything on 14/0 thread, or am I just getting my fingers sticky for no valid reason?

As for contributing to the original question/request:

Antron,
    Hare's ear,
    Possum
    seal's fur
    ice dubbing

Sticky fingers for no reason! That is my opinion at least
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

If you press your index finger hard enough against your thumb, when you "rolling/winding/dubbing" the dubbing onto the thread, you wont need any wax etc. Keep on rolling the dubbing and eventually it will form a thin noodle.

The most important thing with dubbing: less is more.
    and if you are starting to tie: take what you think you will need and HALF than, Half that again, and you will have enough dubbing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    The most important thing with dubbing: less is more.
    and if you are starting to tie: take what you think you will need and HALF than, Half that again, and you will have enough dubbing.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Cannot stress this enough.
    If you are wanting to use wax etc to allow lots of dubbing to be applied - WRONG reason.
    If you want to "touch dub" & want wax for that - RIGHT reason.

Be more specific about what you intend to do with the wax.
    To be honest, I don't use wax & if I need to add some spikely material, then splitting the thread or a dubbing loop works.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Gary,
    very valid points.
    Maybe you can list some of the dubbings you have in your bag of tricks.
    The synthetic dubbings have made a huge difference to the repetoire of dubbings available.

Then there is the blending of the naturals and the synthetics as well.
    Korrie Broos

Both Gary and Korrie are ''spot on''. Dubbing is a fine application that forms your fly. Getting your shape and texture of dubbing is crucial. Overdubbing can spoil your fly.
    DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Cannot stress this enough.
    If you are wanting to use wax etc to allow lots of dubbing to be applied - WRONG reason.
    If you want to "touch dub" & want wax for that - RIGHT reason.

Be more specific about what you intend to do with the wax.
    To be honest, I don't use wax & if I need to add some spikely material, then splitting the thread or a dubbing loop works.
    I was thinking more in the line of touch dubbing, but then the pritt just does not work on lighter threads. Should I use a different thread, or a different wax?

I have a bit of a dubbing fetish ;-) Got most of these in a variety of colours:

STS Trilobal
    Life Cycle
    Super Bright
    Rabbit
    Hares Ear Plus
    Ice Dub
    Ice Dub Holographic
    Crystal Dub
    Ice Dub UV
    Sparkle Shred
    SLF Davy's Bug Dub
    Awesome Possum
    Glister
    Diamond Brite
    Quick Descent
    Hare Tron
    Hends Spectra
    Sybai Fine Diamond
    Hends Blend
    Hends Musk Rat
    Hends Czech Nymph
    Various CDC Dubbings
    Antron
    Seal's Fur
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    I was thinking more in the line of touch dubbing, but then the pritt just does not work on lighter threads. Should I use a different thread, or a different wax?
    Not all waxes are equal. You get low tack and high tack and within brands you get different levels of tackyness. Having said that I agree with the others that with correct technique or a split thread or normal dubbing loop, you can get away without using any wax.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast