Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TFO rods and Blanks.

Default TFO rods and Blanks.

Hey Guys,
    i am keen on building (yes this should be in Rod building section) some fly rods, however i have NO idea what blanks to get- if in fact i should build or buy is other debate ( i have built many surf and bass rods but the fly rod bug has bitten) but that was about 13years back! Anyhow....
    i seem to like the TFO BVK, on paper, as i have no real world exp with TFO- i come from a Thomas and Thomas (not mine) background but now i want my own quality rods.... the Axiom is lined up for my 7, 9, and 12wt's while the BVK will take the spot for the 3 and 5wt.

So, what is the question....?? well, its simple... is the TFO range as good in real world as it says on paper.... i have searched and found only threads from 2009/10... nothing very resent.... has the Brand crashed since then or is it still going strong...???

i like a fast action and would like to build the set all fast action.

The crunch....?? well, price really.... while i would build T$T in a flash, its just out of my price... so now im looking for a mid-range blank/s that i can build a masterpiece/es from! not all at once but i would like to build one at a time over a year or so...

what are your recommendations other than TFO? not interested in Sage, G-Loomis, Hardy etc.... i'm talking mid-range....

who are the TFO dealers in JHB that i can visit and ask some questions...???

thank you in advance guys
    Last edited by Neal; 20-07-12 at 09:38 PM.

Neal, going by the BVK 8wt I have (which is a superb rod let down only slightly by the factory build cork quality), if it were me building I would definitely go for the BVK in 7wt as well.

whylongface.jpg
    The highest form of existence is play.

that is why i want to build my own... it might be more expensive with buying better quality components, but the end result will be great! and i can customize the set
    im considering the BVK strongly, just wish i could find a shop/someone here in JHB that has the BVK and would not mind if i came and had a look. im also leaning toward the TiCr and TiCrX. i know there is not much difference, so i guess its open. i like the "protected" blank for the heavier flies and work.... so i might just build the 3wt in BVK and the rest in salt series as then i can used from 5-12wt anywhere.

Feel free to come past the shop , I have a 5wt BVK that you can look at and try out. I also own a TiCrx and if I know when you're coming I'll have that in-store too.

Shot Richard,
    would appreciate that allot! im a total newbie to this site so i am still learning who everyone is... where is your shop?? and can you pm me your contact details?

I can recommend TFO's strongly. Have a number of BVK's in the mid-weight ranges and they are sweet. Have a professional 3wt for trout as well as a 5 wt and then as I go to the heavier rods above 10wt I use a TiCrx 12 just because it is a bit more chunky than the BVK 12 but that is suited to the fish I chase on a 12. The BVK 12 is more of a casting 12 wherease the TiCrx has better lifting power.

If i was casting a lot I would go the BVK 12 e.g. for tarpon etc.

At the top end I fish TFO BWHD's which are 15 - 17wt 8'6" broomsticks for marlin, tuna, makos and the like - only thing they will throw is a heavy head.

Good luck

Steve

Shot igfafly!
    some good info there. though i dont think i will be casting for tarpon soon... i will be going for Yellows and Bass this season. i like the BVK that i saw today, VERY nice rod and fast action! i have started a new post if you would care to comment on that as well? TFO vs Winston...??

And is the BVK ok to use in the surf/saltwater? think you answered this in your last post, by please confirm it for me.

BVK fine for saltwater use. Lefty Kreh designed it.

H iRichard

Where would your shop be?

im in the market for a 5 wt TFO

I have a 7wt Jim teeny at the moment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast