Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crabs for the surf?

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Attachment 18652

How about something simple.......
    What a beaut of a fly!! think its prefect for the surf!!

You dont by any chance have more info on it? maybe a name or materials? I cant make out if the body is craft fur or a mix in a dubbing loop?

Thanks!
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Hi Konrad

It's just a random picture I pulled of the net but the pattern is pretty simple and I agree that it's the perfect searching impressionistic crab pattern for the surf.

The body is simply made with a dubbing brush and the rubber legs but I presume that there is a layer of lead underneath or even small dumbell eyes at the eye of the hook. The eyes are melted mono eyes and the egg sack is also dubbed. The wing is sand coloured craft fur.

Just a note on craft fur....... get the real deal from Hareline as there is a huge difference between the local stuff and the American version. Our SA dash board fur simply doesn't have the same shine and translucency

Cheers
    MC

Thanks for the help!

I actually started with my attempt to recreate the this fly last night, but using only (Hareline ) craft fur and it came out okay I guess. Used the fine bottom fibers to dub the body and the longer fibers for a wing and medium size dumbbells for weight. I might need to get some sand coloured craft fur though as the closest I have is tan which would suffice for now, but it does not really match the colour of the ghost crabs or sand lice in the area.

Surf Crab Fly 003 edit1.jpg

Hopefully if the wind dies down a bit on Saturday I can test them out this weekend and see how they perform in the surf
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 26-07-12 at 06:31 PM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2