Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The fly shop closing down sale

I have mates that picked up some gear and got great deals. Yes, some things might be discounted and others not so much but give the guy a break man! Mark is closing his livelyhood, broken about it aswell, so getting hyped about the fact that you think you got taken for a ride is your own fault for not doing your homework before hand, in the thaughts that you will be scrounging for a bargain on someone elses misfortune.......shame on you
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    I have mates that picked up some gear and got great deals. Yes, some things might be discounted and others not so much but give the guy a break man! Mark is closing his livelyhood, broken about it aswell, so getting hyped about the fact that you think you got taken for a ride is your own fault for not doing your homework before hand, in the thaughts that you will be scrounging for a bargain on someone elses misfortune.......shame on you
    Agreed!
    There are/were good deals in the shop and if you're not happy with the price of a certain item then don't buy it, no ones taking you for any ride!

Misfortune?
    More like poor management if you ask me....

That store has always been over priced, and totally unhelpful!
    This has been coming a long time already!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Misfortune?
    More like poor management if you ask me....

That store has always been over priced, and totally unhelpful!
    This has been coming a long time already!
    Mark is one of, if not, the only martyr of flyfishing in our country! Yes, he was always fishing and maybe let his business slide abit by not concentrating on solutions with the everso competitive industry we have currently in our country. I think he has paid the price, so there is some truth to it! As a friend no denial there but he is a great and always will be but don't scold the man for having such a great passion for something (something we all share ), where all other awarnesses were left in the dark.
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    Agreed!
    There are/were good deals in the shop and if you're not happy with the price of a certain item then don't buy it, no ones taking you for any ride!
    Please show me where I said I was taken for a ride?? Thanks - appreciated.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Please show me where I said I was taken for a ride?? Thanks - appreciated.
    Not you Mario

Mark is one of, if not, the only martyr of flyfishing in our country! Yes, he was always fishing and maybe let his business slide abit by not concentrating on solutions with the everso competitive industry we have currently in our country. I think he has paid the price, so there is some truth to it! As a friend no denial there but he is a great and always will be but don't scold the man for having such a great passion for something (something we all share ), where all other awarnesses were left in the dark.
    Please! Mark has done his bit for SA fly fishing, yes, but there are many many more who have done as much if not more! Louis Van der Westhuizen is one that comes to mind.

Cant really see where I've "scolded" Mark!

I think Mark is a great guy, but we're not talking about Mark now are we?
    The Fly Shop on the other hand, is a totally different story
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Not you Mario
    Actually I see I did *imply* that ... hmmm, I'll take this hiding too then I guess. Costly boots in the end
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Please! Mark has done his bit for SA fly fishing, yes, but there are many many more who have done as much if not more! Louis Van der Westhuizen is one that comes to mind.

Cant really see where I've "scolded" Mark!

I think Mark is a great guy, but we're not talking about Mark now are we?
    The Fly Shop on the other hand, is a totally different story
    Louis yes (without a doubt), also know him personally. I am not aiming this directly at you and don't want to get into a heated debate on poor old Mark but all I am saying is give the guy (image)......and his old lively hood a break! Yeah, the shop was'nt cheap, hence I didn't even buy much there myself but he had somewhat of a certain customer base and it came at a price. Hiring good help is always difficult, especially if you are not around all the time but I cant judge anyone.
    All I know is that the shop was there as a base for all the guiding excursions and stocked for what was required for target areas, with a few odds and ends.

Honestly guys...... really I think we can really miss the boat sometimes. no one will ever force you to buy anything so if you put the money down before doing the ground work to find that you could of saved a buck or two is on you...

with regards to Mark and his shop mark is a personal friend of mine and i thought i would do him a favour by posting this on the forum for guys to support him in closing his shop not an open invitation to have a go at the guy and his shop, maybe guys should walk a mile in his shoes and see the picture from his side!!!!! sometimes I think people should just keep quite

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast