Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: TFO Axiom and BVK Vs Winston VSL and Passport.

Default TFO Axiom and BVK Vs Winston VSL and Passport.

In 9' 6wt....The TFO BVK is $112.45, the Axiom's blank is $137.45, the Winston Passport is $136.95 and slightly up from that the VSL at $190.95.

I felt the 9' 5wt BVK today (Thank You Richard) and i really like it! was doing some research this evening and looked at the Winston line again... how do you guys compare the two brands?
    i mean you have TFO's top line at $138 and Winston's entry line at $137... Yes i know price is not the B all and end all.... (one can buy $100 blanks that whips both of them, im sure.) but would you rather have TFO's top line or Winston entry line for the same $'s?? or do i go those few $ extra and get the VSL??? opinions??

Sorry Guys... i know im asking the same questions and am exhausting this topic, but i need to get it sorted in my head...

I dunno, maybe it's just me but it would niggle me a bit to know I'd put time and effort into wrapping an "entry level" blank in any range.

In rod building the love and care invested is the same on any blank - the actual price difference at blank level alone for something better is such a small amount in the total scheme of things. Get the blank (irrespective of brand) that feels right for you and your application - then owning and using it will keep giving maximum pleasure.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Dont know too much about both of the blanks.
    But I have been surprised, on a recent trip to Europe, on how highly regarded the Winston rods are.
    I know they are very good, but the level was much higher than I anticipated.
    Another general comment in Europe was, that it is an exspensive rod compared to similar rods on the market.
    They might "up" the brand by adding a couple of dollars to the price.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Well exactly my point... just because the Winston is $190, does this make it a better rod than the BVK at $112? or is it a placebo effect that because i paid more for the blank.... it IS better.... ??
    William, i hear you... but most tackle shops do not carry the blanks, i have NEVER seen Winston in any SA shops, who has/stocks them? So, trying to get the blank that feels right for me when i can "feel" them, is frustrating... all im doing is reading the brilliant write ups that each manufacturer write- i get all excited untill i read the next write up....
    SO far i have felt the BVK and really like it! but how does the Winston VSL compare? this is what i would like to know...

Can't comment on the Winstons but I do know that the factory version of the BVK is 42% lighter than the Axiom which does play a big factor. I have the BVK in a #7 and it is a hell of a lot of bang for your money and if you bling it up with your own choice fittings I think you are on to a real winner there....
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Well exactly my point... just because the Winston is $190, does this make it a better rod than the BVK at $112? or is it a placebo effect that because i paid more for the blank.... it IS better.... ??
    William, i hear you... but most tackle shops do not carry the blanks, i have NEVER seen Winston in any SA shops, who has/stocks them? So, trying to get the blank that feels right for me when i can "feel" them, is frustrating... all im doing is reading the brilliant write ups that each manufacturer write- i get all excited untill i read the next write up....
    SO far i have felt the BVK and really like it! but how does the Winston VSL compare? this is what i would like to know...
    I can vouch for Winston rods in general, I fished with a couple and own one and they are absalutely amazing, truly a top brand wand a top product. As with Sage, you will not go wrong with any of their blanks. Just make sure you buy the right one for the application. I will take a Winston over any other blank any time of the day...

I own a TFO aswell and use it as my Largie "working" rod, it gets alot o bumps and bruises on the rafts and holds great. I also built up the blank myself and I am happy with the rod, it gets out a line well with some effort and is a bit broomstickish, but a good rod. The Winston's in the same weight I fished with is far supperior to the TFO, but at a much higher price. Why not go Sage VXP, that is a GREAT nlank for the price.... my 2 cents

7. Default

Hi All

The Winston blanks are good, we were the distribution agency for the brand, but decided to let it go as we could not deal with there after sales service. We waited up to 9 months for a replacement section... not what we expected. Admittedly, we last dealt with them about a year ago, and that repair was completed in 3 months, after postage and red tape the turn around was 4 months.
    But Winston are not really known for their blanks, more their factory finished rods, as they are some of the best in the industry.

And the VXP would be the answer...

5 Weight Sage Blanks
    VXP 590-4 blank - R2 340.00
    ONE 590-4 blank - R3 430.00
    TCX 590-4 blank - R3 760.00
    99 599-4 blank - R3 300.00
    ESN 5100-4 blank - R3 300.00

7 Weight Sage Blanks
    VXP 790-4 blank - R2 480.00
    ONE 790-4 blank - R3 450.00
    TCX 790-4 blank - R3 830.00
    Xi3 790-4 bank - R3 430.00

These prices including all shipping to SA, VAT and any other charges, other than internal South African postage.
    Prices are current as of this post, but may change.

We do not carry blanks as standard stock items but order them as required. We order a Sage shipment every month, the waiting time is low.

Regards

if this is any help, I've built a number of VXP rods and love them. They are slightly more expensive than TFO's but the Sage warranty will cover you if you break your self-built rod. ....And you'll get invited to Andre's house for a braai should you ever visit Cape Town:-) Plus you'll be able to look down your nose at anglers with lesser rods!

Neil you left out blanking with premium rods is better to digest.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast