Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shocking PIC in Leisure Wheels of a Yellow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Shocking PIC in Leisure Wheels of a Yellow

Saw this picture in a Leisure Wheels article for the Orange River. Creates the impression they don't support C&R....
    IMG-20120624-00213.jpg

A lot of people dont support C&R.
    They dont understand the concept etc.
    a fish is a meal for them.
    It is a sport, that you do, a hobby, to put food on the table.
    And a photo is evidence of a good fish they caught. That will make a good meal for the family etc.

You might take time to write a very diplomatic letter to the magazine, explaining how it works.
    The importanc of C&R with large fish, breeding stock, etc etc.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    A lot of people dont support C&R.
    They dont understand the concept etc.
    a fish is a meal for them.
    It is a sport, that you do, a hobby, to put food on the table.
    And a photo is evidence of a good fish they caught. That will make a good meal for the family etc.

You might take time to write a very diplomatic letter to the magazine, explaining how it works.
    The importanc of C&R with large fish, breeding stock, etc etc.
    SPOT ON Korrie, remember guys there are people just wanting to exist, feeding the family is more important than f.....fish, survival comes first. (look at yourself here, do you in any way promote C&R , yet have a solution for their situation. I THINK NOT!!) So!!!! Mellow in your wealth, being inconsiderate in this position and trying to be (oh!! so perfect) just does not impress anyone. THINK!!!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I think Dave you are right,although i do think a big pulication like that,that also promotes the outdoor lifestyle should be made aware of this,obviously in the right way as not to judge them for what they have done.Not everyone knows the status of every fish and animal,but so you learn.

I have no problem with conservation. What does get to me is the fact that you must do this and that and this and that to preserve fish in the Vaal. I mean come on!!!! That water is so polluted that the fish actually beg you to remove it from the water. The authorities must get their act together and start preserving our resources, then we can look at what we as Fishermen can do from our side to ensure future fish stocks.

Looking at that photo, you can clearly see that it's not a recent photo and it's not the first time I have seen that photo either. My question is how long is it going to take before that system no longer carries fish of those proportions? And here I am not referring to the fish being caught out to extinction? What happened to those 22kg fish that came out once in a while around Douglas?

Is it fishing pressure? Or has it something to do with the big smoke? Or should I rephrase, the business capital of South Africa?

2 Years ago I swam in the Orange close to Upington. Here the water doesn't smell like crap, it smells and tastes like water. For how long???

This is shocking.....

Because the majority of S.A. believes it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr View Post
    Saw this picture in a Leisure Wheels article for the Orange River. Creates the impression they don't support C&R....
    IMG-20120624-00213.jpg
    Thanks Jeremy,

Is this the latest issue: Aug 2012?

I will send out the troops.......unnaceptable! It is illegal and they need to know
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Some folks can be a bit backwards, all we can do is try and advise them. Depending how much Brandy and Coke they've had, will predict that outcome.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Thanks Jeremy,

Is this the latest issue: Aug 2012?

I will send out the troops.......unnaceptable! It is illegal and they need to know
    I think it is August2011, I will check. The photo looks old, because I obviously had to take a picture of it on my cellphone, so it came out badly. I don't want to attack them for this, they just need to be aware of the impact a photo like that can have on the general public.

I am not aiming this at the less privaleged or the angler who knew no better that this was a protected species, only the fact that an established company can just plak a picture of an huge endangered fish (and pls don't argue that they arn't because they are ) in their mag to promote some destination or whatever and reap the benefits, without looking into the facts first. If they didn't know, well then they need to rectify and make right!

I will use a Sterkies FreeSpool angling episode as an example......great show but there were shots of them catching and disturbing spawning fish in some areas. I contacted them privately and explained this to them, also showed them the legal implications of what they broadcast. Immediately they pulled the show, apologising for not knowing they were doing any wrong, given they were with a profound guiding service but to cut a long story short, it has been sorted and the nessesary steps will be taken to broadcast a legal and conservative, yet educational show in future. They were man enough to take the beating.
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast