Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting aids

Thumbs down Casting aides

What sort of wrist straps do you know of or would you recommend for wrist movement on your casting arm? Do theses "gadgets" even work? I've done limited searching but found one by Airflo and Loop master.

Hope to hear some thoughts on the subject.

Thanx.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 29-07-12 at 06:05 PM.

Hi Gerrit
    I looked into this many years ago.

I would suggest a good casting instructor, It will be worth much more in the long run.
    There will always be some wrist movement, especially when you cast a bit more than half a fly line.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Here's a tip for beginners or even experienced guys: (especially single haul casting)

Wear a long sleeve shirt or jacket, must'nt be too tight around the wrist section. Place the butt of the rod in the sleeve and it will prevent you from dropping the rod tip too far past the 1 oclock position. Works wonders with kids
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Have a look at Joan Wulff's you tube videos, in one of them she uses a simple leather strap. I do not think you should spend bucks on this, a "riem" should do the job.

my 2c worth.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Thanks Abrie ja the one she invented is called a writlok. :smile:

To this day i still use two of the thicker type rubber bands. Its easy to remove the rod if you need too and also reposition them. They provide just enough force for you to recognize that your moving the wrist too much. And they cheap... Also found that it helped the rod steady and recover a little bit quicker after each stop.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Whats wrong with you youngsters, ff is like SEX, self control. Timing versus rod action, versus line in the air, versus delivery. WHATS THE PROBLEM?????????????????
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    ...... ff is like SEX....
    Dave, for once you and i agree, because with a 6 week old baby i am getting neither!! :-)
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I frikken hate it when the butt of my rod gets stuck in my shirt sleeve - clearly i am doing something wrong then.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    ... ff is like SEX, self control. ...
    They also say use a rubber anyway. :biggrin: Safety first....
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast