Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New crabs

Default New crabs

Blog Entries

Very nice!!

Where do you intend using these guys?
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Unfortunately I don't think I will be using these. I tied them to sell at Eikendal Flyshop. They should work on a vareity of fish. I Have used the same type of crabs in Exmouth and Bassas. Fish caught on these are, GT, Golden kingies, Emperor, Sandshark, bastard mullet, ( even hooked a blacktip reef shark but it bit through) Parrotfish, triggers and a few species I could not identify. I am sure bones and permit will also eat them.

Blog Entries

I thought these must be for a international destination. I was hoping there will be a trip report following soon after these crabs

On the subject of Exmouth... Geez after seeing the video Jono posted to his site, I might have to consider immigrating to Oz!

Good luck with the sales.

Cheers,
    Konrad
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think I will be using these. I tied them to sell at Eikendal Flyshop. They should work on a vareity of fish. I Have used the same type of crabs in Exmouth and Bassas. Fish caught on these are, GT, Golden kingies, Emperor, Sandshark, bastard mullet, ( even hooked a blacktip reef shark but it bit through) Parrotfish, triggers and a few species I could not identify. I am sure bones and permit will also eat them.
    You tie flies you dont use to sell!!!!F....ck me, youre good. p.s.(you'll get a couple sales here)
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Very Nice Crabs Jannie; I think they will go well here in N.Z.

Could you tell us what size hooks they are tied on? I would like to tie some. Thanks in anticipation. Jax
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    You tie flies you dont use to sell!!!!F....ck me, youre good. p.s.(you'll get a couple sales here)
    I wonder if this isnt the "Jannie" that was the original developer of the "Jam" fly???? with MC Coetzer. If so, yes, he's very good. A very good angler as well.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Hi Jannie.
    Very lovely flies.

I have a question to ask. Having done lots of research about crabs over the last couple of years.
    There seems to be 2 schools of thought.
    The one is that a crab on the defensive will face the "enemy" with pinchers facing.
    Tying a crab you need to tie the crab "facing" the enemy. As per your flies.

The other is that crabs move side ways.
    The average crab don't hang around looking for the enemy.
    As soon as it washed off a rock or moves over open territory, it moves as fast as possible, sideways.

Will it not be wise to have both styles of crabs in your box, the one that faces the enemy and the other that is moving, basically rotating your crab 90 degree on the hook?
    Your thoughts will be appreicated.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I wonder if this isnt the "Jannie" that was the original developer of the "Jam" fly???? with MC Coetzer. If so, yes, he's very good. A very good angler as well.
    Yip, that's him.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Hi Jannie.
    Very lovely flies.

I have a question to ask. Having done lots of research about crabs over the last couple of years.
    There seems to be 2 schools of thought.
    The one is that a crab on the defensive will face the "enemy" with pinchers facing.
    Tying a crab you need to tie the crab "facing" the enemy. As per your flies.

The other is that crabs move side ways.
    The average crab don't hang around looking for the enemy.
    As soon as it washed off a rock or moves over open territory, it moves as fast as possible, sideways.

Will it not be wise to have both styles of crabs in your box, the one that faces the enemy and the other that is moving, basically rotating your crab 90 degree on the hook?
    Your thoughts will be appreicated.
    Sorry to hijack your question aimed at Jannie, Korrie. I always have both types of crabs in my flybox, but my experience is that the forward facing, defensive crabs work best overall. I haven't had any success at all on the sideways, scuttling crab over sand flats, notwithstanding some effort. The sideways crabs work better over coral and rock.

This is only my experience in the sea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast