Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Looking for a Greys Streamflex 3wt 10ft

Some of the rods, I have fished, it takes me an hour or so, to "understand the rod and to be comfortable" with the rod.
    So, a different casting style, could come to different "accuracy results"?
    How big was the difference in casting accuracy?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Some of the rods, I have fished, it takes me an hour or so, to "understand the rod and to be comfortable" with the rod.
    So, a different casting style, could come to different "accuracy results"?
    How big was the difference in casting accuracy?
    Since we were owners of the rods, we were familiar with them. Accuracy differences were noticeable, but were relative - none of the rods were inaccurate.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Next time you in the Cape, bring the ESN 11' and the Hardy along, would love to cast them
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Gary , one thing I did find, having fished the Greys Streamflex and the ESN, both 10 feet, and although my ESN is 2wt and the Greys a 3wt, is that the accuracy of the ESN is superior to the Greys. The Greys had a very irritating "tip wobble" , which had a horrible habit of throwing the fly off track. I wish I could comment on the Hardy, as I hear good things about it, but I haven't had any experience with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Since we were owners of the rods, we were familiar with them. Accuracy differences were noticeable, but were relative - none of the rods were inaccurate.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Next time you in the Cape, bring the ESN 11' and the Hardy along, would love to cast them
    11ft ESN is not mine - I will have to wait to test fish it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Gary , one thing I did find, having fished the Greys Streamflex and the ESN, both 10 feet, and although my ESN is 2wt and the Greys a 3wt, is that the accuracy of the ESN is superior to the Greys. The Greys had a very irritating "tip wobble" , which had a horrible habit of throwing the fly off track. I wish I could comment on the Hardy, as I hear good things about it, but I haven't had any experience with it.
    The Hardy 10ft 3wt Zenith is by far the best long 3wt I have fished. EVERYONE who has ever cast/fished mine, including those not a fan of long 3wts, has liked or LOVED the rod.
    Last edited by GGY; 18-09-14 at 10:17 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

The Hardy 1-ft 3wt Zenith is by far the best long 3wt I have fished. EVERYONE who has ever cast/fished mine, including those not a fan of long 3wts, has liked or LOVED the rod.
    Agreed - if it was available as a blank I would have chosen it over the ESN.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for this feedback Gary. Appreciate the info!!

Here are some of my comments/tests of the ESN, Infinity & comments about the older Streamflex from years past:

I have fished both the Infinity & Streamflex - the Infinity has a far nicer action & the weight feels more close to the hand, unlike the Streamflex, which seems to have weight out towards the tip.

I fish a 10ft 3wt Infinity. Fished the prototype & got a production rod as soon as they were available.
    IMHO, this is a better rod than the 10ft 3wt Echo, 10ft 6in 3wt Echo, 10ft 3wt Streamflex (yes - i have fished all of them).
    The rod is definitely not too fast. The extra length slows it down a little.

I have just received my Hardy Zenith 10ft 3wt. I also have a Stealth Infinity 10ft 3wt & a friend has a Sage ESN 10ft 3wt.

We handled & cast all 3 rods yesterday.
    NOTE - The differences between all three rods are generally slight. No rod was "bad" at anything.
    While we could tell the differences when comparing one rod to the other two, all were good rods in their own right.

Hardy Zenith
    • Second lightest.
    • Lightest swing weight. (in-hand feel)
    • Most accurate.
    • Casting - best over close, medium & long distances.
    • Best overall.
    • Best accuracy & distance.
    • Most powerful.

Sage ESN
    • Lightest.
    • Second lightest swing weight (in-hand feel).
    • Second most accurate.
    • Casting - second best over close & medium distances. Worst over long distance.
    • Most sensitive.
    • Least powerful.

Stealth Infinity
    • Heaviest.
    • Heaviest swing weight (in-hand feel).
    • Least accurate.
    • Casting - worst over close & medium distances. Second best over long distance.
    • Best value for money.
    • Good all-round rod.

What stood out in the test was how good a rod the Stealth Infinity is for less than half the price of the others. While the Zenith can do it all very well without compromise and the ESN lives up to it's name for being the most sensitive for French Nymphing, the Infinity was right up there with the other two.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Thanks for the info everyone.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3