Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sage One #3 7'6 teamed with a Waterworks Lamson Lightspeed 1,5

Default Sage One #3 7'6 teamed with a Waterworks Lamson Lightspeed 1,5

Hi guys I'm a newbie, and am looking at getting this setup for small stream trout and yellows. Ur thoughts & opinions will be appreciated.
    N

Any takers?

get an 8 footer and the lamson 1

The One is that length will be a horrible stream rod imho. try the ZXL or TXL-F maybe ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Agree. Not the best stream setup.
    You say that you're a newbie... so tell us how much stream fishing you have done, your preferred stream, ie. trout yellows etc., and how you best plan on fishing the stream ie. dry, nymph, short casts long casts etc etc...as much information as possible will help in getting more informed responses.
    Also, why this particular setup?
    Last edited by Andre; 06-08-12 at 10:41 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Hi guys I'm a newbie, and am looking at getting this setup for small stream trout and yellows. Ur thoughts & opinions will be appreciated.
    N
    7'6" is too short. Rather go for a 8'6" or even 9'. Better allround 3wt length.

While the ONE may be overkill for small trout, it is a better choice than a TXL(-F), which will be too light for SM.
    Since you can currently pick up a 8'6" TXL for half a ONE & this is a good compromise rod, you might want to look into this.

I disagree about the Litespeed. It is a nice reel, but you don't want the 1, as someone suggested, the 1.5 (or even the 2 for me) would be a far better choice.
    There are other options too - like a Sage Click III (or my preference for a 3wt, the Click IV).
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Tx for all the input. I have only fly fished for clanwilliam yellows, as I ran a hotel and this was an activity given to our guests. As I said I'm a newbie, so i'm starting from scratch, we use explorer guide 7 weight rods in the dam and river inlet.
    So if you starting from scratch what would be the ultimate small stream rod, as I've already have the Lightspeed 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Tx for all the input. I have only fly fished for clanwilliam yellows, as I ran a hotel and this was an activity given to our guests. As I said I'm a newbie, so i'm starting from scratch, we use explorer guide 7 weight rods in the dam and river inlet.
    So if you starting from scratch what would be the ultimate small stream rod, as I've already have the Lightspeed 1.5
    IMHO an all-round small stream rod for trout AND smallmouth yellowfish would be no shorter than 8 1/2 foot 3wt.

My favourite such rod is my 9ft 3wt Sage Z-Axis, but I like very capable rods & tend to fish faster rods than most.
    Do realise than a 1.5-2kg SM in a Vall trib is a very different fish from a 16 inch trout.

As I said, if you can get hold of an 8 1/2 ft 3wt Sage ZXL (now replaced by the ONE) or an appropriate ONE (that would be the 9ft 3wt in SA), that would be a better allround choice for most.

Call Upstream in CT Tel: +27 21 762 8007 they were having a sale on ZXL's.

Else try Frontier in JHB +27 11 463 9048/9 - they are the Sage Agents.

Couple that with a Sci Anglers Mastery Textured 3wt & you are good to go.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

I agree with Gary, for all round stream rod a 8'6 3wt ZXL would be best. However, all the 2wt and 3wt ZXLs are already sold from John and Frontier. Last I spoke to John he only had a 4wt left. I see they are only going on sale in the states now. Maybe try an online store.
    Last edited by shector; 07-08-12 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    IMHO an all-round small stream rod for trout AND smallmouth yellowfish would be no shorter than 8 1/2 foot 3wt.

My favourite such rod is my 9ft 3wt Sage Z-Axis, but I like very capable rods & tend to fish faster rods than most.
    Do realise than a 1.5-2kg SM in a Vall trib is a very different fish from a 16 inch trout.

As I said, if you can get hold of an 8 1/2 ft 3wt Sage ZXL (now replaced by the ONE) or an appropriate ONE (that would be the 9ft 3wt in SA), that would be a better allround choice for most.

Call Upstream in CT Tel: +27 21 762 8007 they were having a sale on ZXL's.

Else try Frontier in JHB +27 11 463 9048/9 - they are the Sage Agents.

Couple that with a Sci Anglers Mastery Textured 3wt & you are good to go.
    Agreed with it all, except the ZXL part. The Z-Axis, not the ZXL, was replaced by the One. The ZXL is now being replaced by the Circa, so good luck in finding one. Really amazing stream rods - and a pity they are no longer available. Nellie, if you could find a 486 it would be golden!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast