Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: New project | 6 piece hiking/travel rod

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    very cool project.
    Will be very interesting to cast it once completed.
    Will be very interested to see the finished product.

    Imagine showing this rod to someone who does not know to much about this project.
    you can feed them a lot of B/s.
    How you custom designed your own blank, to get the right feel, the right action, stiff but, medium mid section and such a delicate tip.
    you can make up lots of stories, how you went about trying out all the sections, went about procuring the sections etc.
    When a newby cast the rod, telling them what they are suppose to feel, asking them if they do feel the "special spot" on the forward cast etc. Almost like the Naked King/Emperors clothes. Bet you can have serious fun.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    How you custom designed your own blank, to get the right feel, the right action, stiff but, medium mid section and such a delicate tip.
    you can make up lots of stories, how you went about trying out all the sections, went about procuring the sections etc.
    You don't have to make up stories about this at all. I have done this a few times, some with great success, some with horrible results. As long as you have the time, patience and enough rod pieces you can pretty much do all of the above and not have to feed anyone any BS at all.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Parys, Vrystaat
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Will hopefully find some time tomorrow to give them a coat or two.
    ...or maybe not, being two degrees outside and snowing in Joburg all that.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Parys, Vrystaat
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    very cool project.
    Will be very interesting to cast it once completed.
    Will be very interested to see the finished product.

    Imagine showing this rod to someone who does not know to much about this project.
    you can feed them a lot of B/s.
    How you custom designed your own blank, to get the right feel, the right action, stiff but, medium mid section and such a delicate tip.
    you can make up lots of stories, how you went about trying out all the sections, went about procuring the sections etc.
    When a newby cast the rod, telling them what they are suppose to feel, asking them if they do feel the "special spot" on the forward cast etc. Almost like the Naked King/Emperors clothes. Bet you can have serious fun.
    Haha! What I do like about these builds is that I have a rod that is completely unique, down to the very blank. No one in the world has a similar rod. I think that's cool

    Speaking of tips, man it was hard getting one that would have been remotely suitable. I have about 8, but they are all as stiff as a board. The one I chose is the softest one of the lot, but even that one is a little too "tight" for my liking.

    @Mario I hear you, but I don't think I can claim that with a straight face yet, for me it will be more like what Korrie said :-)

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cape Town, Western Cape
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Benzo, You must pop round again.. Bring your project. I'd like to see what you have up nyour sleeve etc.. seems interesting!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cape Town, Western Cape
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    So is there a reliable way to do a preliminary test to see if the blank will hold up, before I start a full blown assembly? I guess tying on guides with tape and doing a curve test and maybe a couple of casts is about it, right?
    Howzit Ben, This isn't difficult.. If you have any issues, give me a shout...but as I said, pop round as I'd like to take a look at this project.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Parys, Vrystaat
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Ja thanks guys, I just meant I wanted to see if there are any obvious weak points in the blank. I don't want to build the whole thing and then with the first cast it breaks in 4 places :-)

    So I cheated and used a guide calculator. Attached is an image. Does this mean anything to anyone?
    travelrodcurveweb.jpg
    There is a higher res version available here: http://www.benviljoenphotography.co....vehigerres.jpg

    I also made a few casts outside (in the snow...ALASKA!! whoohoo :-)) , whipped it a bit to put some strain on it. Seems to hold up just fine.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 07-08-12 at 01:11 PM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Parys, Vrystaat
    Posts
    865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Howzit Ben, This isn't difficult.. If you have any issues, give me a shout...but as I said, pop round as I'd like to take a look at this project.
    Will make a plan soon, will let you know.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cape Town, Western Cape
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Doesn't look too bad.. Did you use 9 guides + tip top? How do you plan to spray the blank? How does it compare action wise with your 2wt?
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    There is a higher res version available here: http://www.benviljoenphotography.co....vehigerres.jpg
    Hmm - my company firewall identifies your website as a threat, since "it has been determined byWeb Reputation Filters to be a security threat to your computer or the corporate network. This web site has been associated with malware/spyware."

    ???
    07-08-2012 13-26-39.jpg
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •