View Poll Results: Which Fly do you think is the best?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Largie Swap 001

1 2.56%
  • Largie Swap 002

0 0%
  • Largie Swap 003

2 5.13%
  • Largie Swap 004

2 5.13%
  • Largie Swap 005

3 7.69%
  • Largie Swap 006

0 0%
  • Largie Swap 007

0 0%
  • Largie Swap 008

4 10.26%
  • Largie Swap 009

10 25.64%
  • Largie Swap 010

0 0%
  • Largie Swap 011

1 2.56%
  • Largie Swap 013

0 0%
  • Largie Swap 014

2 5.13%
  • Largie Swap 015

9 23.08%
  • Largie Swap 016

0 0%
  • Largie Swap 017

0 0%
  • Largie Swap 018

1 2.56%
  • Largie Swap 019

0 0%
  • Largie Swap 020

2 5.13%
  • Largie Swap 021

2 5.13%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Largie Swap Vote

Default Largie Swap Vote

Vote for your favourate pattern and the winner will be anounced in 2 weeks time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chrisvd; 23-08-12 at 10:46 PM.

The second batch of flies, if you hold the arrow over the picture, the name of the fly will appear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, one other thing, my fly would have been number 12, but we can only have 20 options on the poll, so I did not enter my fly. This is what my fly look like, for those that wants to know.
    Largie Swap 012.jpg

Some great flies there guys, I look forward to receiving mine. Thanks for organizing it Chris.
    Andrew Schlosser

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left - Seasick Steve

Help me out before I vote please guys. There are some great ties, that I can see, but what do I look for in a LM fly??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

PS: It's also great to see that EVERY tyer uses a J-Vice :tongue:
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Start with the eyes - A massive trigger for Largie flies - So you can already illiminate those tied bath-plug-dumbell-style
    Secondly - have a look at the weedguards - those without you can illiminate - Ons wil mos die goed in die gras en oor biesies gooi en dan: slap slap slap skate skate skate - so the ones without weedguards and those with badly tied weedguards you can illiminate - now see what is left

Damn nice flies though - well done to all.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Help me out before I vote please guys. There are some great ties, that I can see, but what do I look for in a LM fly??
    OK, here is my thought process when tying bait fish patterns. Firstly you should think where you will fish it, clear vs dirty, weeds vs no weeds etc etc. This will have an impact on your colour and the weed guard or not (By the way, I never tie weed guards for the Orange). I use Tan, dark brown or black for murky water and olive or lighter colours for clearer water. I also tie patterns that push more water if the water is murky. Then you need triggers, big eyes is very important, a good trigger, a dominant lateral line is also a must on a bait fish pattern. Use something that will be visible, but not to unnatural. I use Flashabou Mirage, as it is visible in almost all conditions. Shape is also something that is important on a bait fish pattern, the fly needs to have a proper bait fish profile. I also favour materials with lots of movement. The other important aspect is the position of flash, "white" flash should be on the belly of the fly and not somewhere else. Then the fly should swim correctly, most of the flies with weighted eyes on the hook will swim fine, I tied in some lead on the underside of the hook to make my pattern swim correctly, for me the fly should just be negatively buoyant, not sink like a rock, that way you know where in the water column your fishing it and it's not to much of a slep o cast the whole day.

On the other patterns, movement and similarity to something edible is probably what the guys were after. One of those were exceptional and is imitative, not just something that looks edible, but still original and tied brilliantly. In the end, how it's tied is probably also quite important for the comp.That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by chrisvd; 24-08-12 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks for orgainsing chris, looks like a great swap. Some nice looking ties there, can't wait to get my hands on them
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

That rana tadpole (011) one looks very inetersting, if thats what it is? Quite realistic if you ask me
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast