Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: in search of a 10' #3 rod

Default in search of a 10' #3 rod

Hey guys & gals.

Know this theme has been hammered to all hell, but i am looking at getting a new rod for this years Cape river season. The idea is to get a 10' 3 weight rod to increase my range of rods and more importantly, my knowledge of our obsession.

Now there are so many brands out there, with different price points, so i was wondering if you could give me an idea of how they compare from your own experiences. Basically a pro and con of the rod you use. Need to hear more before i make up my mind. Have played with the Zenith, Streamflex and ESN a bit in London, but only out on a field and never in anger. But would love to hear from you guys.

Thanks in advance.
    If you work with monkeys you'll definitely slip on a banana peel!
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is AlWAYS through his fly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Appin69 View Post
    Hey guys & gals.

Know this theme has been hammered to all hell, but i am looking at getting a new rod for this years Cape river season. The idea is to get a 10' 3 weight rod to increase my range of rods and more importantly, my knowledge of our obsession.

Now there are so many brands out there, with different price points, so i was wondering if you could give me an idea of how they compare from your own experiences. Basically a pro and con of the rod you use. Need to hear more before i make up my mind. Have played with the Zenith, Streamflex and ESN a bit in London, but only out on a field and never in anger. But would love to hear from you guys.

Thanks in advance.
    Streamflex...

Great rod, fair price and available locally!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

I have a ESN and a Stealth Infinity in #3 10 foot. maybe we can go to the river to try and compare both.
    Can probably get the Streamflex and the Ecko to try out as well.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

My Vote will go for the Echo Shadow PE it is dream for Dries and Nymphing.

Now that you are totally confused i will suggest that you take up Korries advise and take them on the river no other place to test them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I have a ESN and a Stealth Infinity in #3 10 foot. maybe we can go to the river to try and compare both.
    I have fished both the Infinity 7 Streamflex - the Infinity has a far nicer action & the weight feels more close to the hand, unlike the Streamflex, which seems to have weight out towards the tip.

Korrie - how do you rate (each out of 10) the fishing abiliy of the Infinity & ESN in the 10ft 3wt?
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I have fished both the Infinity 7 Streamflex - the Infinity has a far nicer action & the weight feels more close to the hand, unlike the Streamflex, which seems to have weight out towards the tip.

Korrie - how do you rate (each out of 10) the fishing abiliy of the Infinity & ESN in the 10ft 3wt?
    Gary

The rods were never compared on a same day scenario.
    But there are differences in the action, with both of the rods having pro and cons.

This might be a fairly long winded reply.

The essence of standard Cz or Polish nymphing is a heavier fly setup and faster water, fishing a closer to you, compared to French nymphing.
    French nymphing is a single nymph in shallower water and fishing further away from you.

For Czech nymphing, in faster water, most NOT ALL, prefer a faster/stiffer rod. But there are a couple that prefer a softer/slower rod. The faster/stiffer rod, gives you more control to manage your flies. For this I tend more towards the Infinity, as it is a stiffer/faster rod. you would very seldom do Cz nymphing with 6x or thinner. So you dont have to protect the thin tippets. Getting snagged on the bottom, you have more room to play with to get the nymphs loose, with the thicker tippet.
    For the French nymphing a softer rod, allows you easier loading of the single fly and protection of the very fine tippets
    French nymphing is very seldom done with thinner tippet than 7X.

From comparing the rods on memory, the Stealth Infinity is the faster/stiffer rod and the Sage ESN is the slightly softer/slower rod. (This is from MEMORY)

The Sage ESN has handles 3 to 4 pound SM and Muddies with ease in the Richtersveld and the VAAL.
    The Infinity have caught 6 pound browns in Lesotho,

As a general fishing rod for all round use, I think the split will be 60/40 towards the ESN. If I fished predominantly faster flowing deeper water, I think that the faster stiffer rod, might be a favourite, as it will be able to handle the heavier weighted flies better.

This is no clear cut marks out of 10 answer, as the rods do differ and I think that there is a different application that do overlapp. The next guy that tries it out, might have a completely different point of view.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

HI Korrie,

Nice response.

I generally like a faster rod, and have spent a bit of time fishing a prototype Stealth *NANO* 10ft 3wt, which is even more capable than the standard Infinity.

Would be nice to do a side-by-side comparison of the Infinity/ESN.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

You would like the Echo as well, the more faster option.

I recall a conversation with one of the Europeans, where he mentioned that the South Africans like to do the fighting, where the Europeans let the rod do the work. From that point the ESN is lovely. The rod takes a lot of the fighting, compared to the stiffer/faster rods.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Well I can bring a Streamflex...
    Last edited by FishWhisperer; 13-09-12 at 07:05 PM.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Korrie I would love to take you up on that offer! Know the ESN is out of my budget at the moment, but would really like to pick your brain about the rods (and any techniques ).
    If you work with monkeys you'll definitely slip on a banana peel!
    The way to a fly fisherman's heart is AlWAYS through his fly!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast