Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pollution!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    I have never spoken *** to a judge or magistrate in my life, and I am quite frankly offended by this public assault on my fama and dignitas- I only know how to speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me ***...
    By a show of hands, all in favour?

Nice, it's democratically decided that Kevin C is our spokesperson

Ja just like you have never TRIED to climb a tree and act like a baboon hey Babo/Steve
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Just wondering, Kevin are you going to tackle Zille on the Cape pollution problem?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Guys, I have taken the privelage of attaching the e-mail below from Dirk Human regarding the latest spill on the Vals river. It does not make pretty reading, but this is what we are up against

Hi guys

Sorry for long silence. I was at home for 2 ½ days recuperating after a stomach infection and spastic colon.

Seems whole fight was for nothing. Andre’ reported back on water monsters took on the weirs, and shows no high level/unacceptable levels of pollution. Still awaiting ground&fish samples results and I’m not to hopeful.

Nobody took water samples from the manhole leaking into vals, and thus it’s only my word to prove it, except the 2DWAF officials, present, who made it clear they were/are not to be included in any media or other investigation matter except that of DWAF.

No response from small business association or VAT payers union. I was also warned by few people that speaking to press or making a criminal charge against municipality would be waste of time and money, and that they could possibly make a civil case against me, as I’m the only bothaviller so far standing up and taking fight to them, other interested anglers and people just talk make promises and nothing happens. I also left the media out, as I’m scared of legal action against me for false/wrong claims against municipality. And also personal threats as they already threatened my friend about always putting negative stories in his newspaper about them.

Also that municipality seems to have fixed the sewerage problem after week and two days, so they did do something about problem, not as quickly as humanly possible, but for South Africa, it acceptable.

The DWAF representative is still busy with the report and will be visiting town today.

Sorry guys for letting you down. After R1000 cell phone bill, maybe 100emails send in connection, I have come up against a stone wall, I can’t move alone, or scared that I’d get injured(metaphorically speaking).

At least municipality knows I’m out there, and that I have contacts, for what it’s worth.

Groete/Regards

Dirk Human (Dept. of Justice : Viljoenskroon)

Tel: 056-343 2113

Fax: 056- 343 1392

Email: DHuman@justice.gov.za
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Guys, i took the liberty to mail the chairman of Zandvlei Trust ( http://www.zandvleitrust.org.za ), Gavin Lawson. I outlined our concern for the vlei and asked if a plan is in action to clear this mess up and how can we get involved in the process. Below is his reply. I also invited him to this forum.

Hi Pierre,
    On behalf of the Zandvlei Trust, I welcome your interest, concern and desire to get involved at Zandvlei. We are a volunteer organisation, a registered NPO, with a constitution and paid up members. We have 20 years of practical experience at Zandvlei.

Personally I dont have time to be involved with a 'chat show' , but I am very willing to meet with any responsible fishermen who want to practically help with the management of Zandvlei.

Hi Guys, whats the take on this ?? are we going anywhere......

Default Interesting......

The silence is deafening!!! As soon as anyone mentions positive action suddenly everyone goes quiet. SHAME

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    The silence is deafening!!! As soon as anyone mentions positive action suddenly everyone goes quiet. SHAME
    Yes you are right. Its a pitty !!!! Roland an I took some photos at the upper section of Sandvlei cause we just couldnt believe the amount of rubbish in the water. I'll ask him to post them here. Maybe this will get the message accross and get the guys to participate.

Maybe an idea for those concerned guys who havn't already, would be to join up with the Trust either as individuals or as a Forum collective or other flyfishing group and work together within the Trust to get some action done.

I must admit I was quite surprised when I was given info on the Zandvlei Trust a few weeks back, to find from the brochure that there was birder and all sorts of representation but flyfishing seemed 'conspicuous by it's absence'. I don't know the Trust guys from a bar of soap but it does seem they hold sway and it may at least be one channel via which to air your concerns and to be able to actively do something by joining them, if you havn't already done so.

Personally I try and do some stuff on an anti-pollution/irresponsible development and pro-environment crusade. I know I could do a lot more.

For starters, again for those that havn't - I know a lot of you are already
    long-term converts - go join and get actively involved in FOSAF and your local club and to air your views in other ways in addition to this wonderful Forum, such as via Trevor Babich's 'Water Crime'. FOSAF'S Yellowfish Working Group do sterling stuff in particular nationwide. Quite a few criticise FOSAF - usually it's talkers from the outside with no constructive option or contribution to offer. Turn negative criticism into positive action! Get involved and contribute in whatever way you can. Don't sit on the fence!

I do find often I need to get down and dirty with some of the 'scum offenders' on individual cases and this I 've found I generally have to do on an individual basis. Personally I've been concentrating on combatting
    some of the 'developers' ruining what little is left of our pristine rivers in Gauteng and Mpumalanga. The calibre of these rabble won't respond to airy-fairy 'green' proposals and appeals to their thinking for the future and for their kids. They need to be hard-hit in the only area that hurts them - loss of their quick, dirtily-earned bucks through objective exposure on underhand deals and bad (objective) publicity. Unfortunately going via the 'correct' channels such as Govt Depts and quasi-Govt Depts usually ends up in lots of being shunted from pillar to post, lots of wasted calls and paperwork then only to find the guys you were talking to have been fired for bribery. In saying that, there are a lot of genuine people in these Departments, but on a municipal level, bribery unfortunately often seems to rule the roost, and the pond life elements of our society thrive off this weakness.

Pollution, corruption and greed are all tied in as cancers of our environment and of our future flyfishing.

I know lots of above opinions have been expressed by many more capable by me in the past, but they need to continue to be hammered into all of us as it's obvious from outside of our flyfishing and environmental community, very few people learn or even listen. Look at the other thread on cerain offenders within Stywe Lyne as but one example. Not knocking non-flyfishers, only those with no regard to fish, other people and the environment.

So, for Zandvlei regulars I'd say from an 'outsider's' point of view, go and join the Trust and MAKE a difference! Get out there and KICK some butt!

My '50 Cent' worth!

Keep up the good work Pierre. I don't fish Zandvlei often, but when I do I take a garbage bag with me and pick up litter when I leave. (The canal area is often full of dog turds as well.) One day I would like my son to catch a Leerie too!! It's shocking that Coastal Park is cleaner than Zandvlei. I agree with Chris as far as joining the Zandvlei Trust. I think we should do it as a "flytalk" collective to protect flyfishing interests. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 17-02-07 at 11:35 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast