Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Pollution!

Cool Zandvlei Inventory and Monitoring Programme

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

When I was there last week 3 guys rocked up with a net and about 2 black bags at the net in the canal to take out the rubbish. I thought that is pretty smart of the Municipality. I continued to fish for about an hour near the net. The guys that was supposed to be cleaing took a lekker siesta in a bush and sat around and rolled themselves cigarette's. While I was there nothing was taken out.

What about a Flytalk initiative to clean up the canal ?

Cheers

The National Environmental Management Act says

-The polluter pays, that is, the party that causes the pollution shall have it cleaned up at his/her cost.

-Any member of the public has the legal standing to bring the party causing the pollution to task.

These are powerful legal tools that should be applied without exception. It appears, however, that we have a culture of accepting the consequences of the pathetic management and operation of the public utilities implied in the pollution of waterways and the like. This is exactly this apathy that allows state and municipal institutions to get away with these environmental catastrophies. It is my opinion that the management and political representatives of these institutions should be held criminally liable for their actions (or should that be lack of action).

I have seen exactly the same. A bakkie rocked up with some workers. They had a allot of tools with them, dropped the guys off and then left. I never saw them use any of those tools once. They disappeared and the place looked exactly the same when they left. They had no supervisor with them.

To be honest I am too scared to get into that canal. If such an initiative is started then proper protection is needed and I don’t think it should be done without the Zandvlei Trust who should have the necessary recourses to kick start something and supply us with the right equipment. I am more than keen to do something about it and I think it’s a very good idea to do it collectively as Fly Talk.

Default ZandVlei Trust....

I agree that Zandvlei Trust should be involved in anything "Flytalk" does at the vlei. They call the shots in the area and we should not alienate them.

Default Zandvlei Sand River inflow Litter Net

APPEAL FOR HELP

Making sure that litter does not enter Zandvlei at this inflow will help reduce the short and longterm refuse impact. The regular monitoring and clearing of litter from the net is an ongoing issue. It requires constant clearing, bagging and removal to the refuse dump which city officials fail to do consistantly for a variety of reasons. Do you live close by and have 1 hour per week to supervise and monitor the removal of litter?

Please contact - Peter Joubert 021 7881310 or Cassy Sheasby 021 7017542

Quote Originally Posted by henried View Post

I heard on the news this morning that something like 4000t of sewage ran into Milnerton lagoon as well due to pumps not working. Anyone know about this?

Ouch...saw a headline about sewage leaking into the sea but never had a chance to read the article. If it is Milnerton, which would not suprise me one bit, it's definately going to make my plan to go fish for mullet a shitty idea excuse the pun.

I saw something in today's news that's a bit disconcerting for our ff friends on the US West Coast. Apparently they're thinking of imposing a one year fishing ban of salmon (mainly Chinook) salmon as the fish just aren't coming back up the rivers to spawn. The Govt blames global warming in the sea, the locals reckon it's the result of an irresponsible new irrigation scheme and farming malpractice leading to silting and pollution of the rivers. Another sad example of what's happening worldwide!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4