Thread: Tips or Help for Knysna/Wilderness Area Des 2012

Default Tips or Help for Knysna/Wilderness Area Des 2012

Hi guys!
    Me and a buddy is heading down to Knysna/Wilderness area for 3 weeks in December. We're both total noobs to salt fly fishing and I would love some tips as where in the area the "good" spots are and perhaps flies and techniques that work in that area?

I am also keen to try Swartvlei(I heard the Bass fishing is good there). Is it worth a visit or not?

Hey,

Regarding the Bass, Groenvlei does have a lot of Bass, not quite as big as the ones you get in Natal. You will need a boat to flyfish effectively there. The whole vlei is surrounded by reeds.

Saltwater flyfishing is raging. Get up before the boats manage to stir things up, throw poppers for leeries in most lagoons between Wilderness and Knysna and you should have some entertainment.

Lower swartvlei drop offs with flippers and small wpoppers will produce leeries on the push ( and early morning late evening if it's blind )
    There are a few good channels behind the stop street in town
    And then some more higher up near the train bridge
    There are also a few grunter around (before the boats ) on the flats on the right of the road that goes to the beach / slip ( be warned these are probably the most skittish fish around I have seen locals resorting to burying their mono and prawn on the low in the hope of fooling theming the high )

Where will you be staying ??
    /d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Hi

As said above, all lagoons between Knysna and Wildernis can be fly'ied for leervis. Lots of fun to be had with light tackle, as small leervis can be caught regularly 15-30cm. Swartvlei is very popular for leervis, especially the train bridge which you can see from the N2. It can however become crowded, especially during Decembers and when there is live bait in the water by other fisherman, I have found that trying to get something on fly is a struggle, as the fish hit the livies the whole time... Best to get there early and work the flats and drops on a highish tide.
    Also Knysna lagoon at Lake Brenton (this area is particularly busy during Dec though). I understand that Lake Brenton is also popular for catching mullet.
    Small leervis in Goukamma river at Buffelsbaai is also good fun.

Regards

I had lots of fun at Goukamma, close to the mouth as the tide starts rising. Fished a drop of, size around 30cm...
    Swartvlei at the rail bridge as well, there is a deep pool...
    Belwedeer "Spelling ???" point, above that marine. Nice place for Skip Jack.

In knysna - belvidere small harbour and beyond the white bridge there is the broken bridge. Boat activity limited. Clousers chartruese over white, and lefty's deceivers red over white and blue over white. And of course POPPERS.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

anybody been fishing gouritz, goukou and duiwenhoks mouths recently? Will be there in december.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Fishing should be good again this season, but the best is before december holidays and after the holidays, so late november very early december and then end of Jan til March is the best.
    Good rains has resulted in all the mouths being open, so good fish should be around.
    December is a mission, then all the leeries swim on their sides to avoid the boats. Afternoons is the best on a full to dropping tide.
    Usually there is ONE good day in december, but get yourself ready to make long and lots of casts the whole day. And if you cant cast in the win, stay at home.

I still need to catch anything in gouritz, but all the other rivers has produced good fishing for me.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Was at old drift yesterday and saw 2 guys casting away. If they felt the water which was about 15 degrees they would have known it would be a waste of time. Needless to say not a single chase.
    I am waiting for the water to heat up properly before flogging away.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"