Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Whats happening to Lakies?

Lakies was stocked today with a bout 10000 fish in 40-100g range.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    When was the last time it was stocked?
    It was stocked Yesterday
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by nico View Post
    Hi Korrie
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are no more fish as your figures say ...well 6 people x 2 fish per day or weekend,...Also the stockies are so small they are probably getting eaten by everything else.
    Nico
    Nee man Nico, you well know there are plenty of fish, and lots of big ones. Not many people take fish out, and fish mortality from other causes will be higher. 10 000 were stocked last year and 10 000 yesterday. The fact that little of teh small ones were caught does not mean they are not there. Korrie, I think the 20cm ones have grown a bit faster, and suggest that they are in the 30cm plus range. Nico, you also need to bear in mind that with the water so high, there are less fish per litre, which makes them harder to catch. I would say the competition results are good news, and for some reason they just didnt get last years fish.
    Regards
    Craig

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

What happened to the catch return system CPS committee tried to establish a few years ago. This system was intended to serve exactly this purpose, to record fish size and condition in Lakenvlei.

The golden rule in fishing still waters is "Find the fish"
    As Craig said, we did not find the fish of last year's stocking.
    The stocking of Lakenvlei have always been done on a "conservative" policy.

If you over stock a dam, and the food chain takes a KNOCK, because of too much fish, it takes a very very long time to recover.
    A, you have to get rid of too much fish in the system, which will be stunted, because of a lack of food in the system.
    B. the insect life needs to recover, once you have started taking the fish out of the system.
    C. with this, you have to consider the possible effect of a low rain season, in the coming year. and maybe the year there after.
    A single year, with too much stocked fish, can harm the system for years.
    Bearing all of this in mind, you can understand, why it is better to err on the side of caution, by stocking a couple of fish to little, than to overstock the dam.

Then another factor that will increase your fish catching abilities on Lakensvlei: Use a Goldilocks. (jokes)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

What I can't understand is, previously (2 to 3 years ago) guys complained about fish size i.e. the lack of decent sized fish in Lakenvlei. At the time debate was centered around the larger fish population diminishing the availability of food which led to stunted growth. Now, fish numbers is the topic again.....

It's called human nature. Give them an apple and they will ask for a pear

and if you ask for a apple?.....
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    and if you ask for a apple?.....
    You will most likely get charged double ...
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by shector View Post
    What happened to the catch return system CPS committee tried to establish a few years ago. This system was intended to serve exactly this purpose, to record fish size and condition in Lakenvlei.
    Stanton, catch cards are available outside the hut and members are supposed to fill them in.
    Like many other things, it has met with apathy and inertia, guys are willing to complain about the fish, but not put in any input. The only input we get is from the competition guys, and without that we would have no clue wrt stocking.
    Regards
    Craig

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast