Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Whats happening to Lakies?

I always thought Steelhead were sea-run rainbows? Can you give some clarity on how the Steelhead are farmed/hatched and stocked? thanks
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Haahaa......

Mario, it's easy.

Step 1
    They set up a blind date between a male and female Steelhead.

Step 2
    The male Steelhead orders a bottle of wine.

Step 3
    Next thing there are fertilised agges everywhere.

:-)

Mario, as you can see, I am absolutely not an expert at this.

I would however guess that it works exactly the same as with rainbows. The males and females will produce sperm & eggs every year but they will only shed them if conditions are right - in the wild. In a hatchery the eggs are simply stripped and fertilised.

Most, if not all Steelhead eggs are imported though and there are many other variables available for import. Triploids, Danish Blue Trout (I think that's what it's called) etc etc....

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post

2010: 7000 Rainbows

2011: 1000 Browns and 7000 Rainbows (Triploid)

2012: 7000 Rainbows
    MC

Do you know if the fish stocked in 2012 were triploids?

In 2010 all the fish stocked were only henfish, these are what three streams import for their growers (table fish - for the reason you mention about male fish losing flesh condition). Exact details of 2010 stocking below (Brings up the sad state of affair of Koukedow )

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post

Keep in mind that all the stocked fish are very young, so the mortality rate would be high - I won't even guess what percentage.

You overestimate the longevity of the Rainbows somewhat. I would say that three to five years is a more accurate guestimate and then only under ideal conditions. I doubt whether Lakies, with relatively limited food supplies and high summer temps can be classified as "ideal".

Also keep in mind that it is only the triploids and male fish which will reach that max. The females will die off in the second year of producing eggs (that would be at the end of their third year) because they become egg bound. Very few male fish are ever stocked for angling purposes because they lose condition in winter - I would guess that 90% of fish stocked are female.

If you consider these factors, it probably means that the big fish we are seeing now are the very last last remnants of the 2009 stocking.

The absence of smaller fish means that we are in for some lean times.

Cheers
    MC
    The fact that the 2009 fish are all females is probably of concern due to them becoming eggbound and dying pretty soon...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Hey Liam

The figures I listed were extracted from the Minutes and only that one stocking referred to Triploids, so I would presume that it's another batch of females in 2012.

That "pretty soon" is probably happening at the moment......

Cheers
    MC

Why is Lakies not stocked with Triploids? I see it was in 2011 and then it looks like in 2012 it was back to Hens.

They grow quicker, live longer and obviously dont get egg bound.
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Exactly my question... No point in speculating, but worth getting an answer from someone in the know???

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Why is Lakies not stocked with Triploids? I see it was in 2011 and then it looks like in 2012 it was back to Hens.

"We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post

Cost????????
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Slightly more expensive Garnet!
    A marginal amount extra...
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Cost????????

One of the ladies at the weekend's Ladies National champs hooked into a brown trout.
    The fish eventualy snapped off at the boat, after a one of the droppers got hooked into the drogue.
    But both of the anglers are sure that the fish was longer than the gutter that they measure the fish with.
    So that makes it a 70cm PLUS brownie.

A pity they did not land it, but great to hear about the big fish
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6