Thread: Madagascar - which flies?

Wiets Banned User

Default Madagascar - which flies?

Hi - I am new to this forum and here is my first question.

I will be in Nosy Sakatia (close to Nosy Be), Northern Magascar in June 2007. I would like to do fly fishing on the island from both the shore and offshore.

Which flies, colours and sizes would you recommend I take?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take me with and I'll show you
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Seriously though, it would be interesting to find out. My sister-in-law is getting married in Mauritius next April, so it would be good to know what I'd need tackle-wise. Prepare SWAMBo for Father's Day, Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas, etc.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Default Mauritius

Reindier, my missus let me take my rods to Mauritoius on honeymoon. We were based in the North West, which is the best weather and calmer seas side of the island. Fishing was pretty ordinary, to say the least. Lots of small Bluefin Kingies (10-20cms) and some slightly bigger Blacktip Kingies, with the occasional small Baracuda thrown in.

The usual flies worked: Chartreuse Clousers, Flippers and Siliclones. There were a lot of baitfish around - most seemed to be of the Gilchristella type, so any baitfish imitation should work.

I understand that there is now a flyfishing guide on Mauritius and that he is pretty good. Check out http://www.fishingandhuntingsafaris....shing.asp?pg=4.

Wiets

Welcome to teh Forum mate, and I'm sure you will find a good stream of very jealous, but also very helpful fellow anglers on here with regards to your trip to Madagascar. I've heard about some pretty epic fishing around the Nosy Be area near where you are heading, so you could be in for some fun!

Here are a few recommendations from me:

Flashy Profiles - Dressed fairly sparsely, with some chartreause and some UV Flash in them. The UV Flash really comes alive in those clear water. Make sure they are dressed with large eyes, and a chartreuse nose wrap.
    Sizes 1/0 to 6/0, on good Saltwater hooks ( Gamakatsu SL12's are tops! )

Clousers - In Chartreause over white, Blue over white, Tan over white and Brown over white. UV Flash in the Chart and Blue versions, and Gold Flash is the Tan and Browns.
    Sizes 1/0 to 4/0

Crazy Charlies - Take a bunch of these in different weights and colour Combo's. Golden Knights, Pink Noses, Chratreuse, Tan.... just tak a bunch as everything eats Charlies.
    Sizes 2 to 6

Poppers - Take a few good surface flies, ones that you can cast easily such as Flippers, gurglers and some pencil poppers.

Decievers - Although this is such an old pattern, it still works and isworth tying up a few variations of in different sizes and colours.

Crab Flies - I'm not sure if you will get the chance to target Triggers or Permit, but I would take a handful of Crab flies along too. Rockcod, Snapper, Trevally, Wrasses, and all sorts of other beasties eat them, so take a few Merkins in size 4 & 6, and maybe some McCrabs or any velcro crabs, up to a few in 3/0 for the GT's. If you come across any Fulvie Trevally on the Flats, a well placed Crab fly will usually interest one of these Crustacean lovers.

As to off shore, I guess Deep Clousers and similar if you are gonna be dredging the reefs on Lead core or Di 7 lines....

Good luck, enjoy it and let us know how it goes.

Nepps
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    Hi - I am new to this forum and here is my first question.

I will be in Nosy Sakatia (close to Nosy Be), Northern Magascar in June 2007. I would like to do fly fishing on the island from both the shore and offshore.

Which flies, colours and sizes would you recommend I take?
    Good Question, I am going to the exact same erea in September. I was told to ask MC on this topic. He was a guide on simular waters. Check this out www.madagascarislandsafaris.co.za . I will be doing this......can not wait.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

Wiets Banned User

The time has arrived - I'm off to Madagascar.
    See you guys in about 10 days from now.
    Last edited by Wiets; 15-06-07 at 04:13 PM.

enjoy and we want to see pics of beeeg fish
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Enjoy the trip and bring back loads of pics
    Rudolph
    Confucius

Default So how was it

Wiets how was Madagascar any pics or updates will be great
    NOTICE :

If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice
    is not worth noticing thank you for
    NOTICING

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.