Thread: My first build.

Default My first build.

TFO TiCr 9ft 7wt 4pc

I used apple red thread with no colour preserver. The handle I made out of champaign corks and apricot wood. I didn't have a drill press or lathe so I used a drill in a desk vice. The fighting butt is also made of apricot wood which I also turned myself. This is my leerie rod for this season. I was quite pleased with how it turned out for my first build.

IMG_7763.jpgIMG_7766.jpgIMG_7768.jpgIMG_7769.jpg
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

I must say for your first build and the tools you used, its great! This gives me some hope for my first attempt... I had planned to join in the rod building fun this year, but with summer right here I will have to wait till next year.

If I may, what wrap finish did you use and how did you dry your wraps? guide wraps & epoxy seem to scare me the most when pondering about a rod build.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

nice work David
    Regards
    Craig

very nice! Did you turn the wood on the drill as well?

Good looking build. May it bring you great satisfaction and plenty of worthy fish.
    The highest form of existence is play.

Well done on your first build...and the rod looks great.
    For a first attempt, it's exeptional! Great work.
    Wish you many happy fishing hours with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ko7Ad View Post
    I must say for your first build and the tools you used, its great! This gives me some hope for my first attempt... I had planned to join in the rod building fun this year, but with summer right here I will have to wait till next year.

If I may, what wrap finish did you use and how did you dry your wraps? guide wraps & epoxy seem to scare me the most when pondering about a rod build.
    I used epoxy for finishing eyes. I think my dad got it from some surf rod building place in strand (?). I have a motor that turns at 2rpm which I use to turn the rod while the epoxy is drying.

The wood I also turned in the drill. It is quite a pain keeping it centred as the shaft is only attached at one end (in the drill) and so you have to get a large washer or something to hold it still while the drill is in the vice and you work with the other hand. I don't recomend it. Hire or buy a lathe.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Very good work there David. Well done.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"