Thread: MBE in Fly Tying

Default MBE in Fly Tying

FLY TYING MBE
    There are many ways of measuring quantities of the necessary materials for tying a fly.
    Some use a small Stainless Steel Ruler marked in Inches and Centimetres, others use the old metal thickness gauges for pinches of Calf Tail or other hair or fur. Or dividers or callipers to measure wing slips for Dry Flies.

Whichever device is used [and I would be very interested to hear of our members preferred measuring methods] I have over the years put all aside and now only use the Original MBE Method.

Think about it. What better way to build a fly than being able to Measure By Eye. Have Fun. Jax
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

x2, although i do usually take note of things like "Okay this tail comes extends to about the point of this screw on my vice", and i then try make the remainder about the same distance.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

X3, definitely saves a lot of time. Imagine having to measure everything first. Sjoe!

x4, don't think a trout pulls out a measuring devise before he decides to take the fly.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

I am not so intent on making my flies match perfectly to naturals, but more to make them match each other. Reason for this is so that i have confidence in all of a pattern in case i lose the particular one that is working.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    x4, don't think a trout pulls out a measuring devise before he decides to take the fly.
    You're right, it's the female ones that are picky and anal when it comes to proportions!