Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Southern Cape grunters...what do I need to do?

Hi guys

So I was at Goukamma river this weekend. Started off looking for small leeries but soon spotted some grunter on the flats and thought to myself...today is the day. After about 2hrs of fish being interested and following my fly, one missing the hook and a lot of patience, I hooked into my first grunter on fly!! Man, what an awarding feeling and than on a 4/5 weight.
    Shot for the advice earlier in this discussion. It soo exciting to do sight fishing, I'm gonna leave the leeries for a while and target the grunter.

Wynand

IMG-20130105-00224.jpg

well done Wynand.
    what fly did you use there? looks pink and bright...

lovely fish to get on fly!!!
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Thanks!
    I used a sand prawn imitation I found on the link below - simple, effective and easy to tie. From the sight I gather that Henkie Altena is the guy who tied the one in the link.

http://borntoflyfish.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

Quote Originally Posted by wynandloftus View Post
    ... simple, effective and easy to tie. From the sight I gather that Henkie Altena is the guy who tied the one in the link.
    We had some +5Kg Grunter give us second and third looks on a similar fly, add a bit of orange around the collar, replace top strip with mink (that stuff movies like madness in the water) and add a rolling bead.

You should consider a rolling bead on yours, it helps and if you keep it small it doesn't negatively affect your "plop".

Good job on getting the Grunter.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Well done Wynand, the first grunter on fly is always very special.
    I was there on new years eve, and was fishing the surf outside the mouth, as there are wonderful sand gullies close in and good sandbanks that create nice rips. No luck with charlies and clousers, but saw fish flashing very close in.
    Changed to my prawn pattern and let the waves wash it in and out of the gullies.
    Picked up a few sand steenbras, and even a small grunter less than two rod lengths away.
    (Pushing tide)
    Regards
    Craig

Well done. I should try Goukamma, as I live around the corner and never fly fished it.
    Next time the mouth opens I will be there.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Hi

Thanks for the advice Scythe, I'll try a bead on a fly next time I make one.

ArcherFish. I have not fished in the surf at the mouth, I think I should give it a try. At the moment the mouth is still open, but quite shallow, so there movement of water into the estuary is slow. It's nice however to have the option of the surf.
    Maybe I'll see you there sometime Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by wynandloftus View Post
    Thanks!
    I used a sand prawn imitation I found on the link below - simple, effective and easy to tie. From the sight I gather that Henkie Altena is the guy who tied the one in the link.

http://borntoflyfish.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html
    Hi Wynand. Would you mind just messaging the materials used for that fly plz, im a newbie and been targeting grunter for a while with minimum results. would be much appreciated!! Congrats on your catch again, awesome stuff!!

Wynand, the mouth isn't that shallow, you will see if you try and wade across at high tide, monster fish could pass through.
    We weren't right at the mouth but about 1km past, there is so much nice water along that beach.
    Regards
    Craig

Hi Mark

I will post the details of the fly a bit later this week. I basically went to my tying box and used what I could find - the body of the fly is wool, I will give the exact colour in my later post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3