Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Southern Cape grunters...what do I need to do?

Default Southern Cape grunters...what do I need to do?

Hi

I'm pretty new to saltwater fly fishing and have been having a lot of fun catching small leeries in the southern Cape (George,Knysna area). Can anyone suggest and give advice on what flies to use for grunter? Actually, any advice on fly presentation, location, retrieve etc. will be appreciated!

Regards
    Wynand

FlyFanatic Banned User

Hi Wynand,

Not that I know too much about saltwater flyfishing, what I do know is that grunters are very skittish, need to be very stealthy and present the fly as softly as possible.

Flies which work are charlies and any other mud-prawn imitation (which they feed on).

Location is in estuaries, normally on the pushing tide, the water rises and the grunters move up the bank searching for the mudprawns.

Slow retrieve on the bottom is supposed to work best.

Havent caught one yet, tried for a few hours though while my bait fishing buddies caught plenty with actual mudprawns.

If anything I said is not correct or partly correct, please correct me!

Best Regards

Jaco

Hi Wynand

The Jam fly is probably the best pattern for grunter. If you are serious about pinning a grunter on fly, do yourself a favour and buy a few JAM flies from Eikendal flyshop. They are tied by Jannie Visser, one of the creators of the Jam fly.

Alternatively you can get hold of the guys at Southern Cross Fly Fishers:

http://www.scff.co.za/

They might be able to assist you with local knowledge on grunter behaviour and spots. Henkie Altena is another person to get hold of. He guides for grunter on fly.

Hi guys

Thank you for the advice and suggestions, I really appreciate it! I want to land a grunter on fly with my 4/5 weight, I think it would be a memorable experience I will get me some Jam flies for the summer, thaks Conrad!

I tailing grunter at Stilbaai with no success, need more patience probably...but man those fish are skittish in shallow water - will have to up my stealth mode hehe

Thanks again! Any extra info is appreciated!

Hi Wynand.
    I live in Knysna and have not really gone after Grunter. But there is a guy here that is trying to get a few fly fishers together and I believe/ was told he has had some success. His name is Brendon Freeman - 0765362322.
    I will contact him in a few weeks when I have time to spend next to the water. I will however on recommendation get a few JAM flies for that purpose. But all the above info from the other guys are correct.
    Cheers
    Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Henkie is the man to talk to, but like any guide, you would most likely have to pay him for the day, well worth it to be honest.
    In the time I was guiding down in the garden route one of my clients caught a small one on a clouser, but I know Henkie has a killer prawn that works really well for him.

The two that went for my fly was missed due to viskoors, trust me, you need a steady mind and hand for grunters. One was on a Jam fly type thing, and the other on a prawn pattern that was bought.

But your chance of loosing your mind in trying is better than to actually catch one.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Hi guys

Thank a lot for the info!
    I went to Eikendal just the other day to get a JAM fly or two, but on a students budget I gave it a skip. I saw some stuff in the internet where guys are experimenting with silicone and tying some good looking flies! So, I think I am going to attempt to make one myself...or try to get something similar.
    I am going to wing it this coming months myself and see what I can produce, like you say deewy, I need patients - daai viskoors is erg somtyds
    Thanks Brian, might give Brendan a ring some or other time, I think I'll be trying at Brenton on lake later this year before and after the boats of all the holiday makers.
    Planning to go to swartvlei this weekend, I hope it works out. Will let you know whats happening and when I get that grunter!!

Thanks again for advice!
    Regards,
    Wynand

Cool stuff. Good luck Wynand. I was fb chatting with Brendan and he seems keen to get a line in the water. I will contact him as well once I slow down in December.

hi Brian..was up at Kynsna this week end..only managed a few hours at the train bridge sat am 6-8:30...nada niks..

the young chap at breezers said he gaurentees ill get a leerie when i stopped in there friday...no action saterday whats so ever..water is still very brown...where do the guys get shots at grunter in the lagoon?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I know that off the causeway to Leisure Ilse a chap has told me he has had success. as you approache leisure isle on the right had side.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast