Thread: Bushmans estuaries (kenton)

Question Bushmans estuaries (kenton)

hi there guys,

i am off to the bushman's and Kariega estuaries this holiday, and it will be my first time fly fishing the area. i have heard quite a few good stories but am unsure of where to go and what flies to use. my targets are leeries, grunter, kob and skipjack on fly, but am unsure of what colours and patterns i should be using as for the skipjack i have never targeted them at all and have no idea how to go about for them so if anybody has some suggestions for me on spots, flies, techniques and set ups it would be much appreciated. i am also going to target some sharks from the surf with surf tackle so if anybody has any suggestion on spots for that it would also be a great help.

regards

I spent some time there in Jan of this year, will reply with a summary a bit later.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Bushmens is a very nice estuary for fly fishing,low tide the p.e side is good and hightide the port alfred side is good.I was there earlier in the year and had really crappy weather.There were 5 drop shot guys and me,not one fish though for half a day fishing.I fished the p.e side on an incoming tide.
    I saw some silver flashes around the rocks at the mouth but the wind just gave me no chance to get even close,even though it was not far to cast.As for flies i used the basics,charlies,crap patterns,shrimps and surf candy.needles to say i dont know what will work as i am not sure exactly what the fish were that i saw,but i believ leeries.I even bounced a popper for an our or so.
    Given more time and beter weather I think it should produce well.I would suggest to be the port alfred side and watch the mouth from the higher point there.You might pick up exactly where the fish move through and concentrate that area.It does seem they move very close to the rocks so maybe tie flies with weedguards so you can fish very close and over the rocks.
    My 2c

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Bushmens is a very nice estuary for fly fishing,low tide the p.e side is good and hightide the port alfred side is good.I was there earlier in the year and had really crappy weather.There were 5 drop shot guys and me,not one fish though for half a day fishing.I fished the p.e side on an incoming tide.
    I saw some silver flashes around the rocks at the mouth but the wind just gave me no chance to get even close,even though it was not far to cast.As for flies i used the basics,charlies,crap patterns,shrimps and surf candy.needles to say i dont know what will work as i am not sure exactly what the fish were that i saw,but i believ leeries.I even bounced a popper for an our or so.
    Given more time and beter weather I think it should produce well.I would suggest to be the port alfred side and watch the mouth from the higher point there.You might pick up exactly where the fish move through and concentrate that area.It does seem they move very close to the rocks so maybe tie flies with weedguards so you can fish very close and over the rocks.
    My 2c
    John, why were you using Vaal patterns?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

LOl,oops.
    Funny story about Bushmens.had not used my intermediate line for many years.happily fished the whole day into backing and back etc.Decide to really pump the last cast of the day and lo behold,the knot at the flyline/backing comes past my hand and i feel the know loosen,there goes my entire flyline.Thanks goodness no one around watching.
    Pity the dropshot guys were not around,would have asked them to dredge the water and try retrieve the line.

Hi Dylan

If you google "Bushmans river EC light tackle lures" you will find a thread with a cool map of good spots on the Bushman's river for different species, as well as some advice on the Kariega.

When will you be in town? We'll be there from 15-22 Dec with a bass boat, so if you'll be around and would like to hook up, send me a pm.

if you wade the sand banks upstream from the parking lot at the Kariega mouth on a pushing tide you will see some nice sized grunter tailing ... getting them to take a fly is another story
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

thanks alot guys that map is sure to help thanks if anybody else has any info on sharks, flies or the kariega that would be great.

Hi Guys,

I will be at Boknes next week and wonder if it is worthwhile packing the fly rod Any feedback is appreciated