Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: st lucia and cape vidal

First attempt saw 6x wave garrick and 5x moonies.
    Must learn how to get something bigger. One wave garrick was decent sized though.

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    First attempt saw 6x wave garrick and 5x moonies.
    Must learn how to get something bigger. One wave garrick was decent sized though.
    Nice! "Must learn how to get something bigger" - Now the challenge starts...
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I read in the other thread that I am fishing like a trout fisherman. I must go deeper and harder.

One of the coolest things was actually seeing a wave garrick hit my fly in the face of a breaking wave, it almost surfed along the inside and the hit on the line was felt and seen at the same time. I saw it turn and shake as I set the hook.

Well done, now there where you got your Pompano ... just move 50m to the left or the right into slightly different water, your best bet is to actively scout the wave crests before they break, the Pompano surf in them and that's usually where you will find your bigger boys, usually in pods of 3 - 5. If you want a Bastard Mullet, cast a Crazy Charlie into the muddy churned water that is really bubbly and really sandy, try presenting your fly parralel to the shore between 5M and 10M into the surf, one foot one second strips and you should start getting hits and sometimes you can get bigger ones up to a kilo, they make it worthwhile but as far as an add-on to your species list goes it's allmost a guaranteed hit and dead easy.

My best recollection of a Pompano was watching the Pompano spot my fly still in the air on the last forward cast, you could see by the change in it's demeanor that something had peaked it's interrest, it accelerated towards the fly it and hit it just as I had chance to give it one strip, now that is a lot of fun.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

The water around St Lucia itself is cleaning up a little and I managed to hook four wave garrick yesterday on the beach here just before sunset.

Average size bigger than Vidal and no moonies. A good thing.

We got some good sized Pompano and a few Kingies, but we worked really really really hard for them.

To put it into perspective, if you're standing on The Vidal main beach, we covered around 8-10kms south of that, every single day, with the best of days (around the spring) not even adding up to double digits per angler.

We got a few kingies (Bluefin, Brassy/Greenspot, GTs) but nothing noteworthy, certainly not worth chucking a 12WT for the whole day, if you're fishing blind.

All in, good fun, but go prepared, and go looking for the really dangerous water (two technical shirts torn to shreds and a few serious wipeouts and scars later) that's where we found the kingies.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hi guys ,
    I usually take out 10 and 7 weight, when doing the beach patrol at Vidal but the last couple of times have only used the 7 for the whole weekend.
    A lot depends on how badly silted up the bricks are.
    And I agree:
    3 Spot Pompano RULE !

Anyone going down to st lucia in december? I will be there scouting the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Troep View Post
    Anyone going down to st lucia in december? I will be there scouting the area.
    That's my gully.

Drop me a PM with any questions you have
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3