Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: First Build - Winston Passport 7’6 3wt

Default First Build - Winston Passport 7’6 3wt

I’m super excited to get home today!

For months now I have been thinking about building my first rod, reading up on the subject, and following many of the threads on this forum about rod building. And now, finally, my order of blank and components have arrived! For my first build, I decided on a Winston Passport 7’6 3wt 4-piece.

Can’t wait to get home and start unpacking. In order to keep some pressure on building a decent looking rod, I’ll try and post some pictures as I progress with my first project. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish it before the end of the year...

Morne

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the results!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing the results!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Nice pics. I lived in Barkley East as a kid. What a beautiful world. Must get there for some fishing.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

So far I have assembled the reel seat, and fitted it to the blank. I quite like the colour of the blank. It's a dark bronze.

Here are just a few pics of what I have done so far. I am hoping to start with the handle this evening.

P1080364.jpg

P1080368.jpg

P1080371.jpg

Handle, winding check and tip top fitted. I decided to apply cork seal to the handle, and I am quite happy with the result. It did change the feel of the cork, but not as much as I expected.

P1080381.jpg

P1080382.jpg

P1080386.jpg

Wrapped and rewrapped the hook keeper over the weekend. I decided to keep the trim wrap simple. I have also wrapped the ferules and two of the tip section guides. Will post pictures of that later.

P1080394.jpg

P1080395.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mornesm View Post
    Wrapped and rewrapped the hook keeper over the weekend. I decided to keep the trim wrap simple. I have also wrapped the ferules and two of the tip section guides. Will post pictures of that later.

P1080394.jpg

P1080395.jpg
    Nicely done so far Morne. Maybe some advice, or a tip rather. Next time when ordering a winding check, take the extra diameter the of the thread in mind, and order a check that will fit over the thread (allow for a little play). Then underwrap the thread right from the base of the cork, and slide your check over. That means that there will be thread underneath the check, and when you apply your epoxy, it will seep in under the check, not only securing it, but also giving you a really nice transition curve to the check.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Nicely done so far Morne. Maybe some advice, or a tip rather. Next time when ordering a winding check, take the extra diameter the of the thread in mind, and order a check that will fit over the thread (allow for a little play). Then underwrap the thread right from the base of the cork, and slide your check over. That means that there will be thread underneath the check, and when you apply your epoxy, it will seep in under the check, not only securing it, but also giving you a really nice transition curve to the check.
    Great tip, thanks Mario. As I started wrapping, I noticed that the thread now sits "on top of" the check, and I wondered how I was going to apply the epoxy to the thread without getting the epoxy covering the winding check. Guess I'll just have to apply it VERY carefully now? Also - The coating will probably have to be thin enough so that the diameter don't increase too much and make the check look too small (hope that makes sense)?

I have received another winding check with the rod kit (similar to the one in the picture below), but when I test fitted it to the blank, it just seemed too bulky and prominent - although it has the same i.d as the one I fitted.

OR-001085-0000.jpg

Great tip, thanks Mario. As I started wrapping, I noticed that the thread now sits "on top of" the check, and I wondered how I was going to apply the epoxy to the thread without getting the epoxy covering the winding check. Guess I'll just have to apply it VERY carefully now? Also - The coating will probably have to be thin enough so that the diameter don't increase too much and make the check look too small (hope that makes sense)?
    Jip, you need to be carefull, but it's not too hard. Steady hand (read, let it rest on something while you apply it - stacked pile of books are perfect) is all you need. Another tip, clip your brush at an angle so that you have both a flat area and fine tip. Makes it easier.

I have received another winding check with the rod kit (similar to the one in the picture below), but when I test fitted it to the blank, it just seemed too bulky and prominent - although it has the same i.d as the one I fitted.

OR-001085-0000.jpg
    Jip, knurled checks are quite bulky!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast