Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Barbel Around Bloem/

Thanks for the report John.

What a great weekend it was. Well organised, with the local Parks Board bending over backwards to accommodate the f/f.

I still can't believe that John, Abri, and co got it right.

The accommodation was great, the potjie on Saterday night even better ( thanks John ) and above all the company was like minded people. :wink:

It was my first ever Barbel hunt on fly, and between Morries and John, I got my first early on Friday. ( 2nd Pick on John's post above ).

I'm still blown away by the venue, who would ever think that off the Modder River, through a wall of reeds, lies a pan three times the size of Loftus.

I WILL BE BACK, even before next years Bonanza.:encouragement
    Last edited by Herman Jooste; 05-03-13 at 08:35 PM.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hey John, it would seem from the lack of responses it's gonna become an exclusive Gauteng "clique" which comes down, which by the way I am p!ssed of with.

Where are all the "GROOTBEK PRAATERS" about Barbel from Gauteng, with their techniques, and so on ?

Maybe they are scared of being embarrassed by some people who know what they are doing.

Be that as it may, I'm sure that there will be at least 2 of us on the next NON Bonanza trip.

See you and Morries sooner than you think.

Gents

Some good news. We had a closing meeting with nature conservation after the festival, the question was raised when is the next one..

I'm glad to say our club had a meeting last night and the next event is in planning. November this year is the target. Just after the spawn with big hungry fish....

I will keep you all posted.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Reading about this event made me very excited. As a kid my dad used to take us to Soetdoring to go fish the modder. I can still smell the damp sand as I'm sitting here behind the pc...in fact there are so many triggers that take me back to those days, music, smells etc.

I somehow missed the ads for this event, would have loved to join (but alas Herman, another Gautenger!) Hopefully next year!!!

Please create a thread, Bloem Barbel Bonanza 2014 whenever you start planning the next one so that I don't miss it again.

Edit: I just learned to read... November this year, planning already in progress. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
    Gents

Some good news. We had a closing meeting with nature conservation after the festival, the question was raised when is the next one..

I'm glad to say our club had a meeting last night and the next event is in planning. November this year is the target. Just after the spawn with big hungry fish....

I will keep you all posted.
    Abri, GREAT news, but PLEEEEEEZE not the 2nd 3rd of November, Our company's Annual Fishing Day for clients is on the 2nd Novenber. Christiana is the 24 - 27 October, so towards the end of November or even early December would suit the wallet most fine.

Thanks again for a GREAT time.

going to catch some catch Cats with john of Tuesday on the way back from Rhodes.... looking forwards..

will report back
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Needless to say by the lack of a good response we had a poor day out on the water.Cold front just passed,slight breeze (always puts cats off slightly) and the fish were 50m out.I got 1 fish and Gary got a nice little fish and that was it.Though I believe if we fished passed afternoon we would have caught way more as the water and air temps rose and the wind started dying.
    Was awesome to meet the guys though and cast a line with them

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3