Thread: Expats in Dar

Default Expats in Dar

Hi All,

I just recently moved to Dar Es Salaam on a 2 year contract, and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a fly fishing community here? The only thing fishing related I could find is the deep sea fishing club at the yacht club, and the information is very limited. Any advice on where to meet like minded individuals over a few cold ones to discuss all things fishy?

I have heard there is trout fishing in the streams of Mt Kilimanjaro, if you are prepared to travel a bit.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Thanks Justin. Kili is very far from here....... My post was more about meeting up with some other ex-pats. My experience has been that I get along well with most fly-fisherman, at least there is some common ground. Then hopefully from there, some braai's and maybe a trip to get into some 20lb+ tigers!

Boet, you are probably in the best situation you can ever be for fly fishing on the continent of Africa.The colonials keep their spots close to their hearts, and do not part easily with the info.I will pm you ,and give you the name of one of the best people to contact .His name is Edward Ghaui, and this young man is a good friend , and he can flat out fish.Nairobi is also a stone throw away , and the Kenya fly fishing club is probably one of the oldest in Africa.If you are so lucky to hook up with Ed he will sort you out , and introduce you to the local crowd....!

If you go to the local John Deere (Trak Auto/Lonrho) dealership you will meet Lukas Botha. A South African, I'm sure he knows quite a lot of people there.