Thread: Whats up at Kosi bay

Question Whats up at Kosi bay

Hi Gents

I am going to Kosi bay in Jan 2013. This will be my first visit.
    What is the fishing like at the moment??
    What Rods, flies ext would i need??

Hey,

Well you don't specify if you're going to be fishing the surf or the mouth or the lakes, so I'll try to give you some general pointers.

If it is your first trip and not being familiar with your FF ability and/or background, here's a sure fire bet to at least get you into some fish.

6/7WT rod setup with intermediate line ending in 20lb Fluoro at the tip with a selection of small(ish) clousers, salty buggers and Charlies. This will see you get into some fish (Kingies, Pompano, Bastard Mullet and the usual by catch of Moonies/Needlescale Queenies and the k@k one typically does not want to catch) If you bear in mind that realistically speaking your average sized fish will be hand sized or slightly larger, it will still be fun on the 6/7WT.

If you can manage to cast your clousers on your 5WT, rather use that, but the best advice I can give you is to make sure you use something which allows you to present your clousers at >25M distances consistenly, bearing in mind that usually you will be timing your casts so as to present the fly in between wave crests right before the approaching wave crashes over you up to chest deep so as to maximise your distance.

One last tip, if you're catching lots of small fish, then you will have learnt the first lesson of that area of the coast, you're fishing like a trout fisherman. To get into something juicy (read : bigger) you have to fish wilder water in more dangerous locations, find the really crazy currents/breaks/rocks/etc and you will find your bigger fish there. If you aren't getting washed off your feet and run the risk of getting drowned during every wave you aren't fishing the right water. Observation is key, for example during non peak times outside of the tidal push and during the times the sun sit high in the sky, you will see the bigger pompano cruising in pods in the crest of the waves, run ahead of them, present your fly (usually directly into the wind) and hold on. That usually produces your best results in terms of getting a decent size fish, slaying the little guys is a lot of fun but if you want something bigger, you will have to not fish like trout fishermen typically do.

If you know your stuff in terms of SW flyfishing (then you also wouldn't be asking this question ) ... 7-9WT with clousers/salty buggers/sprats in sizes 2 - 2/0 for general work during the day when racking up numbers and species, 10-12WT with big brush/profile flies/sempers in anything from 2/0 - 8/0 during the prime times.

It's a lot of fun, I'm going to be there from the 23rd of December.

If you're fishing the mouth, then outside of your prime times, walk up the river away from the ocean and catch everything that moves, you can even run into little pickhandle barracudas and so forth so it's great fun, don't spend too much time of the really large mullet (you will easily identify them) they can be hugely adrenaline packed up to the fith time youve cast to one and have been ignored yet again. Also fish tight in against tree roots/mangroves and into dropoffs and channels, there are always fish cruising and you can even run into a snapper. I caught rock salmon, pickhandles, snapper and a large number of interresting species this way. Don't forget to be mindful of sharks/crocs/hippos/snakes, they are there.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hey Scythe

Thank you for the information this will really help a lot.

We will be camping next to the big lake and will have a boat. Do you have any suggestion for fishing the lakes??

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    We will be camping next to the big lake and will have a boat. Do you have any suggestion for fishing the lakes??
    I've never fished the lakes other than one time we waded up from the mouth to the first lake, and we then ran into hippo, so be mindful of them too.

I do know that insofar as bait goes, the prawn they have there is the right stuff, this the one oomie told me while sitting on his boat and I was wading chest deep with hippo no more than 100m away from us (we only realised the really round and rare rocks, being that there were only two of them to be seen from where we were, were hippo, when the rocks started moving)

As for fly fishing, this will be the first time I'm fishing the lakes from a boat myself, so I reckon the usual approach to SW fishing and fishing an estuary would apply (dropoffs/channels/structure/look for chases/etc) and observation will be your best ally.

@ Scythe - i see you still remember that walk to 2nd lake........
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

Thanks Scythe.

Will you still be there in Jan??

I would appreciate some feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    @ Scythe - i see you still remember that walk to 2nd lake........
    Coop, that was first lake We never got to second lake ... it's even further along. But yes, my blisters still have blisters and I will never forget the bundu bash, or the hurriedly sneaking through the hippo lanes in the 3m tall reeds to try and get back to where we started. Fun times

I would appreciate some feed back.
    Only untill 2nd Jan 2013.

Do you have any suggestion for fishing the lakes??
    My suggestion would be to buy some kafoef and/or catch some of the smallish baitfish, rig them on a circle hook and see if you can't entice one of the Red Snapper or Rock Salmon.

There's a lot of boats, a lot of traffic, less action (zero chases, the only fish you see are Barracuda/Pike and then the smaller species : Stumpies, Rock Salmon, Snapper, etc)

You will be hard pressed to find a kingie and aside from a single school of springer I ran into on a flat, you don't see the predators, in fact be sure to check Lake #2 for the half a rugby field sized school of baitfish cruising at the surface, and you can see by their casual demeanor that there are no toothy critters chasing them from below.

The activity now when compared to the last time I was there 3 going on 4 odd years ago, means I won't be going back.

Even the baities battled to get fish.

JAG, how did your trip go?

Spend very little time fishing.

One should not try to mix family Holidays with fishing holidays. You just end up frustrating everyone. Including your self.

Spend ons morning at the mouth on the Out going tide (Arrived way to late) had some chaces from Kingfish and Springers that was it.

Regards