Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Groot Brak - Tips and advise

That's the first positive thing I've seen about GB. Thanks for that, much appreciated Rob. The water there just looks very fishable.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

I've also been eyeing GB for a while. Thanks for the directions and positive info Rob, I will definitely go and spend some time there. Must just be careful not to get stuck at McNasty's hehe

Beware of McNastys!! I was there late one night and was about to leave. My mate said that if I stayed a bit longer there was bound to be a girl who would show us her tits...... Looking around I assured him that there was not a girl in the place whose tits I wanted to see!

I love going to that spot at Grootbrak with the family. Family can swim and I can fish. also very quiet. In peak December the is about 30 people there maximum! Out of season you usually share the whole place with one other family!

MC Nasty's looks a bit suspect. But when in Rome......
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Thanks Rob, I will definately give the GB a try when I am down there from 01 Feb. Tied up some JAMs (or at least my variation thereof) and would like to see how these will do. I have noticed pods of large Grunter in the area you refer to in the past. How safe is it to park your car at Swartvlei on that little gravel road passing close to the bridge?

Regards Stef

Stef,

The parking area there is safe as houses. I have parked there for years and have had no trouble...touch wood

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Stef,

The parking area there is safe as houses. I have parked there for years and have had no trouble...touch wood
    Houses in which area?

Definately no the ones in Gauteng!

Hi Guys

Went to the island at Grootbrak this weekend and I must say I was surprised at the number of grunter I saw there, however I could not get one to even show interest in my fly. I was using a pink prawn imitation. I was there on pushing tide, so it was very shallow and clear water. Does the clarity of the water influence which fly aperson should use?
    Didn't have any follows from leeries, but wil def go back and try to get a grunter.

Hey hey....

Very surprised you did not get any leeries? On the back of the island, try to work the overhanging branches on the other side of the river. Put your fly as close as possible if not under the overhang. Let the tide push the fly under the overhang.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12