Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Groot Brak - Tips and advise

Default Groot Brak - Tips and advise

I am of to Groot Brak for the week end.
    It is a long estuary, so any advise and tips would be appreciated to better my chances as I only have 2 days there.

Cheers

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

hey Brian

try check on sealine if you dont get anything here...it usually has info on the estuaries all over the place
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Hi Brian

I have fished that estuary quite extensively and never caught anything mentionable. I suggest that you don't waste your time there and rather go fish Kleinbrak estuary. I have not fished that area for the past two years or so since I lived in Ballito, but I will be going down to Kleinbrak and Sedgefield during the first week of Feb. Do yourself a favour, fish your Clousers on the bottom with a slow pull as well. This tactic often saved the day for me in estuaries and it is interesting to see what you can pick up this way if the leeries are not around.

Regards

Stef

Cheers Bud, good advise. Also going back there in a few weeks, hopefully less boats and activity.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Good that people think there are no fish in Grootbrak! More for me!

There are always leeries on the back of the island. I have personally seen schoals of grunter, kob and leeries swimming under my kayak on days when the water is crystal clear. Every fish in the schoal was size. The mouth also produces fish on the pushing tide.

Only caught leeries though...

Hi Rob

Where exactly is the "back of the Island" you are referring to: when you stand at the mouth with your back to the sea, the river basically splits to your left and to your right (the parking lot being across the left hand section). Are you referring to the section on the right hand side from where it makes a bend against the mountain leftwards towards the Island bridge, or from the Island bridge towards the train bridge?

I have seen lots of Grunter there in the past. Like I have said, I will be in the area from 01 Feb, perhaps I should give that river a go again but I have had minimal success there in the past.

I suppose that you could also pick up some Kob if you float tube the section from the bend at the Police station backwards towards the Highway bridge with a sinking line and bigger clouser/whistler.

Regards

Stef

Hi guys i am keen to see your feedback on this one as i will also be in the area from 3 Feb. thanks for sharing

Hey,

If you drive past De Dekke on your left and the sea on your right, cross the river and turn right. Drive past McNastys on your left and take the first right. Cross the single car bridge and leep left until you come to the tennis courts. Park and walk to the river. Much safer for the car there. Work from the bend on your left to the mouth. Keep your poliarised sunnies on, you will be able to sight fish there. Must be high tide or thereabouts. Awesome place for the family as well, no crowds and safe for kids etc.

I personally would not venture out on the river on a float tube...never know what lurks in the main part of the river. Or rather dont want to know.

Leeries and Grunter at Grootbrak you might get lucky with a kob. Also very sheltered from the SE wind. If you wanting kob, Kleinbrak is a better bet. Kleinbrak is better fished on a boat/kayak. Do NOT use your float tube in Kleinbrak. Ugly fish lurk there! Leeries are also thick in Sedgfield at the trainbridge, better/bigger fish there.

Great info guys.

I haven't fished estuaries before. What kit would you suggest? 5wt with intermediate?

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Hey,

If you drive past De Dekke on your left and the sea on your right, cross the river and turn right. Drive past McNastys on your left and take the first right. Cross the single car bridge and leep left until you come to the tennis courts. Park and walk to the river. Much safer for the car there. Work from the bend on your left to the mouth. Keep your poliarised sunnies on, you will be able to sight fish there. Must be high tide or thereabouts. Awesome place for the family as well, no crowds and safe for kids etc.

I personally would not venture out on the river on a float tube...never know what lurks in the main part of the river. Or rather dont want to know.

Leeries and Grunter at Grootbrak you might get lucky with a kob. Also very sheltered from the SE wind. If you wanting kob, Kleinbrak is a better bet. Kleinbrak is better fished on a boat/kayak. Do NOT use your float tube in Kleinbrak. Ugly fish lurk there! Leeries are also thick in Sedgfield at the trainbridge, better/bigger fish there.
    Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast