Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Head Lamps for night fishing

Default Head Lamps for night fishing

Hi Guys
    I would like advice on head lamps that will work well for night fishing.
    How many Lumens for LED? The beam distance and circumference?
    Rechargeable vs Batteries?
    What makes? etc.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

If you're going to buy anything right now as a first purchase ... go for this :

The H5 as a first buy (non rechargeable batteries)

http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produ...e/h7.php?id=h5

The H7 as a second slightly more expensive option including more bells and whistles.

You can get them at Outdoor Warehouse and Cape Union Mart (if memory serves) ... most powerful LED Headlamps I have ever seen and they have all the features and things you could ever possibly hope for.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Have a look at the Petzl Myo Xp, Petzl Myo RXP(upgrade of the previous) and the Petzl Ultra Rush. I have the XP, it work great for most situations I use it for MTB, Running and fishing. The XP and RXP will last you hours on a battery pack, but the Rush Has far more beam strength at the cost of operation time.

I put rechargeable batteries in the XP... I get about 60 hours at heavy beam on a charge.
    So tell me.... How Big's yours?

Booger Rose Banned User

If you just need a basic light there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Energiser headlamp sold just about everywhere for R99.00, batteries included. I used these lights now for the past four years or so, heavy going on the beach through the night while doing R&S and they are cheap enough to just replace if they do break down. Quite tough and they are so basic, there is not amlot that can go wrong. BUT...

The family upgraded me this past christmas. I'm now the proud owner of an Icon Black Diamond! This light is awesome: 200 lumens, 100m beam, 250 hours battery time, watertight even in salt water and only weighs 230g (confirmed on my wifes kitchen scale - also a chrismas pressie). I'm sure you will be able to play golf with this thing at night!

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    If you just need a basic light there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Energiser headlamp sold just about everywhere for R99.00
    I still use one of those, they are hard to beat.

I never even look at my Petzl anymore, overpriced, poor performance.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produ...e/h7.php?id=h5

The H7 as a second slightly more expensive option including more bells and whistles.

You can get them at Outdoor Warehouse and Cape Union Mart (if memory serves) ... most powerful LED Headlamps I have ever seen and they have all the features and things you could ever possibly hope for.
    I have the H7R (rechargeable model). Awesome. Charge it in my car via USB/lighter port.
    Due South also stocks and is usually cheaper than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    BUT...

The family upgraded me this past christmas. I'm now the proud owner of an Icon Black Diamond! This light is awesome: 200 lumens, 100m beam, 250 hours battery time, watertight even in salt water and only weighs 230g (confirmed on my wifes kitchen scale - also a chrismas pressie). I'm sure you will be able to play golf with this thing at night!
    For portability, the H7 is half the weight of the Icon. H7 is cheaper too.
    H7 has full variable beam focus (flood to spot) and full variable beam intensity (very low to max) - not in Icon.
    Icon has strobe & reb beams - not in H7.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

hi guys, sorry im not answering any of your questions brian, but rather adding one of my own

I've got an LED lenzor (sp) which is awesome btw, i just feel it chows batteries quite fast. heres my question:

It is a one LED headlamp and you can adjust the brightness, by turning the brightness down are you actually saving battery or are you just moving the power used to a different resistor, im hoping some electrical boffins can help me here...?

I currenlty have the LED Lenser, it does chow batteries if constantly on, but man alive, that thing can cast a superb beam and of course you can adjust it.

I love it!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    I've got an LED lenzor (sp) which is awesome btw, i just feel it chows batteries quite fast. heres my question:

It is a one LED headlamp and you can adjust the brightness, by turning the brightness down are you actually saving battery or are you just moving the power used to a different resistor, im hoping some electrical boffins can help me here...?
    Yes. Battery life is substantially improved at lower lumen (light) output.

If you use at max beam, you will drain rather fast with all of them. (Of course, 3 x AAA will drain faster than 4 x AA, so the bigger [and heavier] lights will generally last longer at the same light output)

This is why I got the rechargeable version in the first place.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Another vote from me for the LED Lensor H7.... I am a torch lover, like most men I guess, a good torch is a superbly appreciated thing...

I've had my H7 for a while now, and always travel with a fully charged set of rechargeable batteries in it, and a charger, and a spare pack of regular batteries in case there is nowhere to charge it...

I most likely buy another one for the missus soon as well... They are brilliant!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast