View Poll Results: Which saltwater fish is your #1 option?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Permit

6 16.67%
  • Bonefish

1 2.78%
  • GT

13 36.11%
  • Tarpon

8 22.22%
  • Milkfish

2 5.56%
  • Mako Shark

1 2.78%
  • Any other suggestions

5 13.89%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Your ultimate #1 saltwater species on the fly?

i would vote for a big skipjack. one over 90cm

Dorrado over 10kg for me
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Quote Originally Posted by beefybovril View Post
    What is so interesting about this is that the Permit is always reported as the 'ultimate' catch, and yet only one other fisherman has voted for it apart from me. It just shows that local experience plays such a huge part in such a question - I wonder what the outcome would be in Australia, The US or Japan.....I guess my local species here are so different to back at home.
    Well im with you on this one. To me Perms are still the holy grail. There are stronger fish & a few more difficult to catch but very few that are prettier out the water and hold the same esteem and such a strong place in the history of the sport.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Dogtooth tuna -

Will pull a GT backwards in same surroundings.
    Also the remoteness you usually have to get to - some pretty special places along the way.

This is more offshore stuff, but have to agree about sight fishing.......it can be addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    Dogtooth tuna -

Will pull a GT backwards in same surroundings.
    Also the remoteness you usually have to get to - some pretty special places along the way.

This is more offshore stuff, but have to agree about sight fishing.......it can be addictive.
    Have you caught them on fly? - RESPECT!!!

With your feet firmly planted on terra firma there is nothing that can change a grown man to a shaking blabbering boy in a second as a 1m plus 20-40kg+ Geet eating your fly in a explosion of water a rod length away that leaves you tasting the spray on your face... Come on eat it, eat it, eat it, jeez woooaaah, sh*te, watch my line line F*&k, No, aaaarghhh, nnnnnooooooo!!!!! Again...

So nothing like getting down and dirty and passionate with GT's for me...

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    With your feet firmly planted on terra firma there is nothing that can change a grown man to a shaking blabbering boy in a second as a 1m plus 20-40kg+ Geet eating your fly in a explosion of water a rod length away that leaves you tasting the spray on your face... Come on eat it, eat it, eat it, jeez woooaaah, sh*te, watch my line line F*&k, No, aaaarghhh, nnnnnooooooo!!!!! Again...

So nothing like getting down and dirty and passionate with GT's for me...
    Haha im starting to think this is more a personality thing.... Arnos response could have actually been written by Fred. Im guessing the more excitable types enjoy the higher octane species like the geets. Im a sucker for proving a point and a bit calmer so im guessing the perms suit me better.

My guess is locally the guys who have voted GT would rather chase big Leeries than big Grunter. ?
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

[QUOTE=beefybovril;232502]Have you caught them on fly? - RESPECT!!![/QUOTE]

Yes mate - they are spectacular as they are strong.

The other one to try on a fly rod is wahoo......
    Now they talk about lightning quick - try them on a fly rod.
    Your reel sounds like a food blender on that first run.

Have a look through my album for some pictures - they're in there somewhere.

Somali Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Somali Pirates
    there is a technique to cast a huge rooster popper at them, in between the eyes, they man down...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast