Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WC cob bag limit?

Default WC cob bag limit?

Saw this on sealine. It is the catch of 4 guys. Does anyone know what the bag limit is in the western cape?
    Bag limits.jpg
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Default Recreational Activity Brochure 2011-12.pdf

Bag limit is 5 per person per day. Min size 50cm. West of Cape Agulhas only

See page 10.

http://www.daff.gov.za/doaDev/fisher...ivityInfo.html

IMO It seems unreasonable to catch and kill that many even if it is legal.
    Limit your catch, not catch your limit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BuzzLiteBeer; 19-01-13 at 10:21 AM.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Sick! Sick! Sick!
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I would love to know how they are going to eat 4 cob of that size each. It is sickening even if it is legal. Why oh why do people have the mindset that angling is a war against the fish rather than a sport. I mean, sure, keep one, but for heaven's sake put the rest back. The latest tcff puts into perspective just quite how endangered cob are.

SIGH :frown:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

I agree totally. I saw photo on FB of 28 Grunter, only 4 seemed size. I so despise these fishermen. But that is what makes us FF folk unique in that we conserve and just love it as a sport.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

So many of them are unteachable and infuriating. You try to suggest politely that they don't need to take so many fish. They tell you it's legal so you put into perspective the plight of cob for them and they either get violent and call you a ma se p*** or they have the argument that no matter how much pressure they put on a species it is impossible to make them extinct. It's like trying to argue with a drunk person. If you say anything about conservation on sealine there are a few guys who back you up and the rest tell you that you should congratulate the guy on a good catch and not cause trouble. then there is always the guy who sends basically tells you to F-off. Why oh why are they people like this in the world.

I wish rock and surf guys had a similar mentallityto fly fishermen. At least it would solve conservation issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I wish rock and surf guys had a similar mentality to fly fishermen. At least it would solve conservation issues.
    Careful, a lot of R&S anglers are also conservation minded. :smile:
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I wish rock and surf guys had a similar mentallityto fly fishermen. At least it would solve conservation issues.
    I gather you have not heard many stories from the Vaal then have you?? Don't think for one moment that just by having a fly rod in your hand automatically makes you a saint. I have experienced many fly fisherman (long time fly fisherman I might add) that have zero respect for the surroundings, quarry and the people around them.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I know that there are those guys on the vaal and sterkies which target spawning yellows and that deserves the rope. I don't mean to say for one second that every fly fisherman is a conservation wary person. There is a general mentallity among fly fishermen to have respect for the quarry and the environment.

On the other side there are many rock and surf fishermen who have a great respect for the environment especially the ined fishermen and catch and release competitions are becoming way more common. There just seem to be too many who still have the idea that the sea has a limitless supply of resources.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast