Thread: Carp in my prize bass dam!

Default Carp in my prize bass dam!

Hi All,

I recently went back to my family farm for the weekend and hoped to do a bit of bass fishing in my private dam that often yields the odd 8 POUND BASS! On this particular day I found that it was choc fill of carp some weighing in at 4pounds! No one has access to this dam so it was not stocked with these aliens. Can anyone tell me what the future of my dam is and what happened to all my precious bass? Also is there anyway I can fix this problem. Anyone who has a good answer can come fiching anytime.

Thanks

If I were you I'd get rid of them as speedily as possible, depending on the size of your dam, they will inevitably end up muddying your water and then your bass fishing will become less fun. This ofcourse is dependant on the volume of water entering your dam at any given time, with a large enough inflow of clean water, even dirty water will become clean.

How they got there ? Somewhere upstream in your water supply there are carp and either the flows were high enough to wash them downstream such as when you have large volumes of water from rain or when a dam burst its wall, washed over due to large volumes of rain and if that is not the case, then most likely some carp fry migrated downstream through pipes and whatnot and the bass didn't finish them off before they had time to get really big (therefore I'd say most likely a dam burst upstream and washed larger specimens down)

What do to ? If I were you I would get a bow and arrow and have some fun sightshooting the carp, you can also try netting but that will require a large net and manpower (again dependant on the size of your dam) and what you could also consider is to get people (locals, farm staff) to come fish out the carp on bait, making sure they keep every carp and toss back the bass they will invariably also catch.

You will never be rid of the carp, you will have to make this an ongoing effort to keep their numbers under control, but a very quick way is to shoot them out, and give the fish to your locals as food, so nothing goes to waste.

Again ... this all depends on the size of your dam.

Personally, if your dam is big enough, the carp fry should provide for excellent fodder fish for your bass, depending ofcourse on what kinds of fodder fish you already have in the dam. If it was my dam, I'd try to remove as many of the medium sized individuals as I can, leaving some larger specimens to provide food for the bass.

Bass love carp fry.

Good luck.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Rotenone.....
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Same problem here but with a Tilapia dam.
    The colour of the water is deteriorating and we are thinking its the rain, carp are not released.

Every time I fish there I throw in another line with carp bait on.
    flycarp.jpg

I have more luck with the carp than the bream with the fly.

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Rotenone.....
    Korrie, Do you not know....
    Rotenone only works on vicious trout that have co-existed with vegetarian minnows, frogs and insects for over 100 yrs.
    It is useless against sharp tooth catfish, bass, tilapia, carp and surprisingly poachers !!
    This may only be a regional phenomenon though :-)
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    If I were you I'd get rid of them as speedily as possible, depending on the size of your dam, they will inevitably end up muddying your water and then your bass fishing will become less fun. This ofcourse is dependant on the volume of water entering your dam at any given time, with a large enough inflow of clean water, even dirty water will become clean.

How they got there ? Somewhere upstream in your water supply there are carp and either the flows were high enough to wash them downstream such as when you have large volumes of water from rain or when a dam burst its wall, washed over due to large volumes of rain and if that is not the case, then most likely some carp fry migrated downstream through pipes and whatnot and the bass didn't finish them off before they had time to get really big (therefore I'd say most likely a dam burst upstream and washed larger specimens down)

What do to ? If I were you I would get a bow and arrow and have some fun sightshooting the carp, you can also try netting but that will require a large net and manpower (again dependant on the size of your dam) and what you could also consider is to get people (locals, farm staff) to come fish out the carp on bait, making sure they keep every carp and toss back the bass they will invariably also catch.

You will never be rid of the carp, you will have to make this an ongoing effort to keep their numbers under control, but a very quick way is to shoot them out, and give the fish to your locals as food, so nothing goes to waste.

Again ... this all depends on the size of your dam.

Personally, if your dam is big enough, the carp fry should provide for excellent fodder fish for your bass, depending ofcourse on what kinds of fodder fish you already have in the dam. If it was my dam, I'd try to remove as many of the medium sized individuals as I can, leaving some larger specimens to provide food for the bass.

Bass love carp fry.

Good luck.
    Hi Scythe thanks for the feedback, loads of useful detail in this. I will definately start getting the farm staff involved and might have to try get hold of a cast net. And you are welcome to come and help pull some out of the dam (if you have TNT even better).